Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What brand of Modulator?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 04:03 PM
rhinoWErX
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regarding headlight modulators - I don't run them, but if a bike has a high beam flasher I'll use it. I'm also not shy about running my brights.

Used to be that motorcycles were the only vehicles requiring headlights on while running - back in the day, you saw a headlight in the distance (during the day) an you immediately knew it was a motorcycle.

I think it was Volvo that first start running their cars with headlights on all the time. Now many other manufactures are doing the same thing (Saturn comes to mind) - effectively reducing the visibility of motorcycles, and more importantly, public consciousness.

I think safety (includes ATGATT) and awareness amongst motorcycle riders is a very personal thing - based on experience, education or peer influences. Either way, however you approach it, I don't think It's something you can ever let your guard down about.

FYI - it was some time ago now, but I was in a very serious motorcycle accident in which I was hit head on by a drunk driver, driving at night on the wrong side of the road with his headlights on. I'm lucky to have survived with head injury the loss of sight in one eye - my passenger on the other was not so lucky

Do I think a modulator would have helped in that situation - doubt it.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:12 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

if someone feels they need to be more visible on the road I am of the belief that it is because they feel they need to be more visible on the road...this, I have found, works for everything your mind can come up with not just safe ridin'

Old 10-08-2008, 04:24 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the problems with flashing headlights on a motorcycle is that the person seeing them thinks you are signalling them to proceed.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:41 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default I guess

Originally Posted by rounder
really your probably right but I am a biker and as such all bikes attract my attention!!
that said I think modulators look pathetic and if you need to run one because your afraid of being hit... well damnit ... quit being sooo afraid...
I have also been around bikes for a little while as I bought my first one in 1965 when I was 16 and could not yet drive. I started riding when I was 17 (1966) and was not afraid of nothing. It took me 3 months to almost total my first bike that took a year to build (ground up). The older I got the more I hated the idea of being hurt. Worst of all, I hated fixing my bike and having the down time.

I had to sell my first bike because I was off to Viet Nam (July30 1967 ~ March 10, 1969. I was one of the few who made it out of the unit without getting hurt. I was in the Marines. Afraid, ya I know fear. Does not stop you from doing the doing, you do what you have got to do. I would not wish to be a person who knew no fear, as those were all dead. Take my word on that. Anyone says any different has never had a lick. When I got out I bought a 1969 BSA Rocket 3 .

I could not afford more. I wore that bike out than in 1975 I had the money to buy a brand new FX. My friends/acquaints Tony Carlini, Von Dutch, Rex Ramsey, Harley Bob, and myself helped build my bike which took best in show on the East Coast that year. I still have it and rode it through the worst winter in Detroit.

I bought the very first 1977 1/2 Low Rider to come into the state of FL. I wore that one out and a very young "Wizard" now from Phil Peterson's completely made it new again. I hated the down time and in late 1984 bought the very first Softail Super Custom that came into FL. I did sell that one with only 86K miles. I bought a 1993 Heritage. I sold that and am now building my own bikes from ground up and have 5 of them. I still do not like the idea of laying it down as that would hurt in both ways.

On my way home from Miami, just along a 3 mile stretch, about 1 hour ago, I counted an assortment of morons who pulled out into traffic with no concern what so ever for their fellow driver. One idiot pulled in front of 2 cars and 1 truck and all the way over into the slow lane from the center line. He did have the decency to pull into the gutter when he found I was on the other side of the truck that he could not see. I had just enough room between the fender of the truck and his rear quarter panel. That and several less close calls was just today.

I do not use my bike to make a fashion statement but as a tool. I could give a good god damned what others think. I have always preferred to use my bike as transportation ether in high school in New Jersey during the snow storms or rain, Detroit/365 days a year, or now the cushy South Florida. This is what I have always done and what I will do if I can.

I am now 60 years old and got that way by being a little "sooo afraid..." It is easy to talk the talk but that actual walking thing is a bit hard to follow through on year after year. Using my fingers I have 42 years of riding minus the 19 months I was in the crotch.

You can see all of what I said under History on my web site.

What this has to do about modulators is to take every precaution you can to protect yourself. What this has to do on life, you be the judge.

Last edited by FastHarley; 10-08-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:59 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
I have also been around bikes for a little while as I bought my first one in 1965 when I was 16 and could not yet drive. I started riding when I was 17 (1966) and was not afraid of nothing. It took me 3 months to almost total my first bike that took a year to build (ground up). The older I got the more I hated the idea of being hurt. Worst of all, I hated fixing my bike and having the down time.

I had to sell my first bike because I was off to Viet Nam (July30 1967 ~ March 10, 1969. I was one of the few who made it out of the unit without getting hurt. I was in the Marines. Afraid, ya I know fear. Does not stop you from doing the doing, you do what you have got to do. I would not wish to be a person who knew no fear, as those were all dead. Take my word on that. Anyone says any different has never had a lick. When I got out I bought a 1969 BSA Rocket 3 .

I could not afford more. I wore that bike out than in 1975 I had the money to buy a brand new FX. My friends/acquaints Tony Carlini, Von Dutch, Rex Ramsey, Harley Bob, and myself helped build my bike which took best in show on the East Coast that year. I still have it and rode it through the worst winter in Detroit.

I bought the very first 1977 1/2 Low Rider to come into the state of FL. I wore that one out and a very young "Wizard" now from Phil Peterson's completely made it new again. I hated the down time and in late 1984 bought the very first Softail Super Custom that came into FL. I did sell that one with only 86K miles. I bought a 1993 Heritage. I sold that and am now building my own bikes from ground up and have 5 of them. I still do not like the idea of laying it down as that would hurt in both ways.

On my way home from Miami, just along a 3 mile stretch, about 1 hour ago, I counted an assortment of morons who pulled out into traffic with no concern what so ever for their fellow driver. One idiot pulled in front of 2 cars and 1 truck and all the way over into the slow lane from the center line. He did have the decency to pull into the gutter when he found I was on the other side of the truck that he could not see. I had just enough room between the fender of the truck and his rear quarter panel. That and several less close calls was just today.

I do not use my bike to make a fashion statement but as a tool. I could give a good god damned what others think. I have always preferred to use my bike as transportation ether in high school in New Jersey during the snow storms or rain, Detroit/365 days a year, or now the cushy South Florida. This is what I have always done and what I will do if I can.

I am now 60 years old and got that way by being a little "sooo afraid..." It is easy to talk the talk but that actual walking thing is a bit hard to follow through on year after year. Using my fingers I have 42 years of riding minus the 19 months I was in the crotch.

You can see all of what I said under History on my web site.

What this has to do about modulators is to take every precaution you can to protect yourself. What this has to do on life, you be the judge.
so you know I competely respect you and admire your knowledge you bring to these forums....
unfortunately your experiences still fall under self fulfilling prophecy...Had I rode the same road as you today none of that would have happened and there would have been clear sailing all the way for me...It's O.K. you don't understand but it's how the world works.
don't worry and all will subside and you will experience clarity and good fortune for you are in control... not those around you!

Old 10-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Morloka
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rounder
don't worry and all will subside and you will experience clarity and good fortune for you are in control... not those around you!
you make your own luck, thats the power of positive thinking, however, I still carry tools

Old 10-08-2008, 05:34 PM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts

Rounder...Geez guy I said I was thinking about putting one on my bike. Not breaking into your place and putting one on your bike. If you don't like them, don't get one.

I knew when I started this thread I would get some comments about real men don't need that ****. So fine I guess I don't measure up on your man scale. But if there's even a chance that it could save me from becoming a smear mark on the highway I think it's worth looking into.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Not E'nuff Harley
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Blaster,
I have a mod on my LED taillight , and a I am planning on putting one on my headlight.
Everyone has an opinion, and they are all like a$$holes. Every one stinks but your own.
In my 36 years of riding, I have had three accidents and too many close calls to count. Hit once in the rear by an idiot at a light and twice by women in their ol' man's GIANT Suburbans. All three "didn't see" me.
The rear modulator has proven it works for me by the response I see with drivers. If they're tailgating and I flash it, they tend to back off. Most drivers leave a little more space at the lights. Most.
I agree with what you said. If you don't measure up to anyone else's Man Standards, B.F.D.. They wouldn't come to your funeral, anyways!
Let me know which one you go with and how you like it, 'cuase I obviously create my own badluck(in some opinions), and 12 years in the Marine's obviously didn't make me a MAN, either(again, in some opinions)!!

Last edited by Not E'nuff Harley; 10-08-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:35 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

sokay, karma is mean bitch, and right about the time you open your mouth and brag about your mad skills, that patch of asphalt is gonna rise up and smack the $hit out of ya.

The 'you' being referenced above, is anybody who thinks they've got it all covered and still thinks their 10ft tall and bulletproof.

However there is no replacing safe riding practices, and keeping where you're at in perspective.

Can't say much for folks who read too much L-Ron.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:31 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rhinoWErX
Do I think a modulator would have helped in that situation - doubt it.
I can assure you it would not have helped in your situation. I don't think there are any states that allow you to run a modulator at night.

Quick Reply: What brand of Modulator?