Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

calling all electrically smart members...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 04:56 PM
buellrider76
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default calling all electrically smart members...

With all the knowledge on this site I figure that someone will know how to make the rear single element turn signals into running/turn lights. I found this site that has a module but not exactly what I want. I don't really need the brake function. If anyone has experimented with this I would love to hear about it.

http://www.signaldynamics.com/produc.../tristarxp.asp

Old 10-06-2008, 05:12 PM
wkdavistx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using a module is the only way I know to do it. Otherwise when you hit the brakes you are linking the hot side of all three lights together (and if you set them up as running lights you are always linking them together. Bottom line in this situation is that any time you hit the brake or use a turn signal, all three lights will respond the same way.
There are several companies that make modules. I have one from Badlands that a friend gave me and I've never had any problems with it. There is no wiring involved because it fits the rear wiring harness. (I just had to unplug the connection to the rear under the seat and add the module to the gap.)
The load equalizer is for if you add LED lights. It adds resistance so that the blinkers don't flash 100 times per second.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

Ride safe!
Gravel

Old 10-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Morloka
Cruiser

the moco sells a similar module for the same price, easy to install

Old 10-07-2008, 02:40 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Check around the forum. I recall seeing some guys using front turn signal housings on the back, so they can use a dual filament bulb.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:25 AM
buellrider76
Tourer

Evil, That was kind of what I got to thinking after I posted this. There has to be a way to us the front setup in the back. I will have to look into this a little more. Maybe even come off the front run/blinker module. Just have to find out where that is and if it will handle the load of a front/back setup. Are there other bikes in the harley line that have run/blinkers in the back? Could us the stock wiring from another bike. Gotta be a way........

Old 10-07-2008, 05:30 AM
Roadjunkie1
Banned

I did it on my road glide. First off I ordered a snowmobile bulb to replace the stock tail light. It is an attention getter, and thats the point. I do not want to be rear ended. With tht being said the SM bulb in the running position, rotates one way and then reverses, and then back again un til you hit the brakes and then it flashed briliantly.

I replaced the stock turn signal bulb housings with aftermarket that is fitted with sockets for and 1157 bulb (dual element). There is no wiring diagram so I hope you know a bit about basic electronics. I tied the large element in parrallel with the brake circuit. The other element is terminated to the turn signal circuit.

Now when I brake, the center light flashes and the outside lights go solid red. If you can't see that from a mile away, you're blind.

Now I do have one issue which I havn't had the time to resolve yet. The brake lights are so bright that they bleed over the rear turn signals. I will correct that with a couple diodes and capacitors before i put it away for the winter. Front signals are not affected.

Now on the other had, you can pick up a module from Moco for about $150.00 bucks, change the amber bezels to red and you will be ready to go in about 30 minutes. It will give you running lights, turn signals and brake lights with a single element bulb.

Eitherway, there are options .I just like to tinker.

BTW, Kuryakan makes a taillight set up as I described for about 50 bucks less.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:54 AM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Roadjunkie1
Now on the other had, you can pick up a module from Moco for about $150.00 bucks, change the amber bezels to red and you will be ready to go in about 30 minutes. It will give you running lights, turn signals and brake lights with a single element bulb.
I bought my module from the MoCo for $80 and it came with the red lenses to replace your orange lenses.

But remember that buellrider76 is trying to do it without the brake light function.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:14 AM
buellrider76
Tourer

Roadjunkie1, That is exactly what I was looking for. I am an electronics tech in the Navy so I don't mind tinkering, just wanted to know if anyone had tried it so I can learn a little before I tear into this project. You got a quick wiring diagram for what you did? I will post progress if it works. Anyone got a spare set of front signals that I can gut and experiment with?

Got into my manual and realized that the wires to the rear of the bike are already there. Guess I should have realized that earlier! Anyway, I tore apart the wiring in the back to put the sidemount plate on and thought that now would be the time to do this mod while it's apart.

Last edited by buellrider76; 10-07-2008 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:02 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Check around the forum. I recall seeing some guys using front turn signal housings on the back, so they can use a dual filament bulb.
Thats exactly how to do it then tap into running lights with extra wire

Old 10-07-2008, 09:48 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna07custom
Thats exactly how to do it then tap into running lights with extra wire
Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
That would be exactly how I would go about it also. you need a dual element bulb to disguise between running lights and brake lamps. Also you would have to find some way to do your blinkers, weather you wanted your running lights to blink or your brake lights to blink, me personally, I want dedicated brake light, running lights, and blinkers so the cagers can soo me better.

Quick Reply: calling all electrically smart members...