Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAPs,FUELPAK,DYNA JET, PCIII !!!???HELP!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 02:12 AM
79lowrider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MAPs,FUELPAK,DYNA JET, PCIII !!!???HELP!!!!!!!

ok i bought an 04 lowrider from a guy in town here that had purchased it from a dealer in Phx. (used) EFI nice bike i love it Problem is: ever since i have owned it it has ran RICH when it eas purchased from the dealer it had a screamin eagle air cleaner and a thunderheader 2 into 1. since i have installed V&H Straightshots, still runs rich, How do I know if it has had a stage 1 mod or what? Thanks and please what do you suggest?

Old 10-01-2008, 07:20 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have any kinda of tuner/device plugged in between your ecm and the stock ecm plug. I think, not for sure, the sert is the only device that does not stay plugged into your bike, it just adjusts your stock ecm. The others overide your ecm and tell it to do certain things. That would be your best bet to figure if there is a tuner installed.

Since you say your running rich i am going to assume you have a tuner. As the bikes, now days, come from the factory running really lean (THANKS EPA! ). Then when you add more air this leans the mix out more, thus the need for a fuel tuner to richen the mix back up and give you better performance.

Last edited by shimmon; 10-01-2008 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:18 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

If you can afford it, take it to a shop that has a Dyno, and have them check the air to fuel ratio. Then if it is rich, you just need to open up the intake and allow more air into the motor.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:33 AM
Jet x 4
Tourer

Get a vance and hines fuel pak. They are easy to tune and are easy to modify if you make changes. If you plan on doing big engine mods the ful pak isn't the best option. If you just change pipes and intake then it's money well spent.

Rich

Old 10-01-2008, 11:33 AM
MLWilson
Tourer

If the bike is truely running rich then it probably has a a PC or fuel pak or some other fuel management system. It just needs to get tuned either on a dyno and by loading the correct MAP. 1st Do a internet search for stage 1's, take your cover and filter off to verify what you have. Most common stage 1 upgrades are Screaming eagle and Arleen Ness; both look very similar. 2nd do a search for power commander and fuel pak, take your seat off to verify what you have if any. Power commander has all the software and many MAPs on there site to assist with your rich problem, but you must have a notebook to load software; if you verify you have a fuel pak call vance and hunes and I'm sure they can help you out. I hope this helps.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:41 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 79lowrider
ok i bought an 04 lowrider from a guy in town here that had purchased it from a dealer in Phx. (used) EFI nice bike i love it Problem is: ever since i have owned it it has ran RICH when it eas purchased from the dealer it had a screamin eagle air cleaner and a thunderheader 2 into 1. since i have installed V&H Straightshots, still runs rich, How do I know if it has had a stage 1 mod or what? Thanks and please what do you suggest?
First I would remove the electrical panel cover to see if you can locate a pcIII or Fuelpak or other fuel management system. It may also be under the seat. That will cost you nothing. I would also contact the original seller if possible and ask him if he did anything to the bike. That will also cost you zero. If all else fails, I'd then probably follow some of the other suggestions.

Sad that y'all missed the most obvious and easiest. One guy suggested "just take it to have it dyno'ed." Initially is bad advice. Let the guy visually find the add-on device. if he cannot locate it, then contact previous owner if possible. If that fails, then move on to other means. If it has a SERT, wouldn't HD have a record of it? I'd say contact HD to see what they show in their records. Also free, except the phone call.

Also, if it's a 2004, wouldn't that be before the big EPA push we have today? I don't think they were as strict with HD as they are now so you can't even assume that.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:33 PM
79lowrider
Advanced

when you say remove cover i assume you mean the one next to the coil cover? im gonna do this this afternoon hopefully see if there is something there
Thanks very much guys i will let ya know the outcome shortly

Old 10-01-2008, 09:02 PM
l.ray
Road Warrior

Beware of forum mechanics! Have a qualified fuel management engineer tell you what you need , or you just may be needing a new motor. l.ray