Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5k mile service

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by glide05
good videos - shows how easy it is.
personally i disagree with replacing the derby gasket - I've re-used mine 3 times with no problems.
my plan has always been 20k for that (3 services), and then have the dealer replace it - I can't get a new one on.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Marksman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, I doubt that the clutch is so far out that it would require any adjustment at the clutch itself (inside the derby cover). That would be for major adjustments. You should be able to get any adjustment you need at the adjusting barrel on the cable itself. If the end play is within spec, your good to go. You may need to loosen it up a bit to make it easier to get some good lube down the cable. My opinion, not a real critical item. Maybe at the 10k loosen the cable enough at the clutch plates to take if off at the lever. That way you can really work some lube in.
Make sure you have a real good quality bit for the Derby cover screws. You may also want to invest in a impact driver to "snap" the screw loose. Don't get too frustrated if you strip out one of the screw heads. (come here and search for help to get the stripped ones out, hopefully not an issue)
I would sure think you can reuse the derby gasket. Its just a big rubber o ring. The o rings on the other plugs, well you just might want to replace them. Cheap insurance.
Also I have issues getting drain containers under the holes. I usually cut off plastic detergent/ fabric softer bottles my wife is throwing away, to the right height.
Take your time. Have fun.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by glide05
good videos - shows how easy it is.
personally i disagree with replacing the derby gasket - I've re-used mine 3 times with no problems.
I agree. Mine has been on/off like 6 times already with no problems.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:53 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Marksman
You may also want to invest in a impact driver to "snap" the screw loose. Don't get too frustrated if you strip out one of the screw heads.
Impact driver.??!?! better would be to be sure to use a T27 torx bit not the T25...

you do know thes screws are 60-80 inch-lbs right???

Old 10-02-2008, 07:52 AM
seaox
Cruiser

Marksman,

I humbly disagree. These are 2 separate adjustments. If your clutch pack is out of adjustment, then the cable adjustment DOES NOT correct the problem. If too loose, the clutch will slip and not transfer power to the chain. It doesn't happen often, but you could wear out the clutch pack if too loose. My 2 cents worth. Do both--it's easy and it's doing the right thing right.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:08 AM
Marksman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by seaox
Marksman,

I humbly disagree. These are 2 separate adjustments. If your clutch pack is out of adjustment, then the cable adjustment DOES NOT correct the problem. If too loose, the clutch will slip and not transfer power to the chain. It doesn't happen often, but you could wear out the clutch pack if too loose. My 2 cents worth. Do both--it's easy and it's doing the right thing right.
mmm. I'll have to think about that one.
I'm just not sure you can have the cable end play properly adjusted, if the adjustment is not right at the clutch pack. The rod being adjusted is effectively just an extension of the cable. The spring brings the plates together not the cable directly. As long as the cable allows full compression of the plates there would be no slip. I would think that if the cable is properly adjusted that full compression would occur. Then again, I'll admit I've never tried to do it wrong to see if that's possible. Whatever, we are on the same page.

But I totally agree it is easy enough to do both.