Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty, No recall ??? Is it just me .......

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 11:25 PM
70mach1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty, No recall ??? Is it just me .......

Abought a month ago I went to my HD dealer to see if they would replace my lower triple tree section do to it starting to oxidize .
They said they will order a new part and call me .
Abought a week later they called and schedualed an appointement .
They said it would be 2 hrs or so .I got to my app. a little early and they almost sent me home , do to 1 mechanic called in sick ,1 had court duty ,and another had to leave in an hour . They did however keep the app. do to me having only that day off and drove quite aways for the app. .I did tell them if they would have called I would have reschedualed , Why wait till your there to turn you around , Geeze,,
So I left the dealers and went for a walk . I returned abought 2 hrs later and my 2007 Low Rider was far from done .(This was my only day off as it was ) .
The service guy who you talk to says they were looking for me .Apparently they received the whole triple tree assembly .So they decided to change it all .Although there was nothing wrong with my top section ,I said cool it will all be new . (My LR only had 1300 miles on it anyway ).Finaly after waiting 5 hrs it was done , I t was a little greasy etc, But I just wanted to get going .
After arriving home I noticed my front fender was not aligned, I fixed it ,also ground wire was not in the right location, and the clutch cable was now tucked behined the wires that run down the handle bar , I fiddled with everything to my liking and gave it a quick wash .
After wiping it down I ran my hand across the upper triple tree only to find 4 or 5 jagged marks on it , like someone took a pair of pliers and smaked it once .WTF ARRRR...
I was fuming .I basicaly wasted my single day off .
Next morning I drove back to the dealer , talked to the service guy who wanted there detailer who was also a sales man there to sand and buff it out . I was like if it doesnt come out your replacing it .I seen some of his shady work .
I then talked to the owner , He told the service guy to reorder another triple tree and it would be replaced .
That was over 3 weeks ago ,Ive been back to check on the status and they were saying ,its not in yet , Last time I went they said Harley dosent want to replace another and that there should not have been anything wrong with the new part .
I said my thoughts exactly ,So there basicaly stummped on what to do . There saying there aloud extra $$ each year to satisfy a customer and they may go that route ? Or they might warranty another wone under a different bike ?
I told them I didnt care how they did it .
In the meantime I showed them my lower motor mount . I am geting some extra vibes and it looked bad .
Service guy said they would order one 1st time I talked to him . Now he says theres no bulleten or recall on it , So they would have to charge me , Send my old mount to HD and let them decide if its under warranty ,If so they would refund my money .WTF.????
My main issue here ...
Arent ther mechanics HD Qualified ??
Cant they decide if a part is bad or not ??
Why does there have to be a recall to warranty something on a HD ..???
I f you are in warranty and somethings wrong with your bike why shouldnt they fix it ??
Ive never herd of having to have a recall or whatever to fix a problem ,,
Anyone else ever herd of this or are they blowing smoke up my a$$ ?????
I reminded service I had extended 3 year warranty and it will be fixed ..

Old 09-29-2008, 11:29 PM
benwiggin2
Road Master

Unfortunately, it's another in a long line of horror stories...

Old 09-30-2008, 12:28 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I know in the industry I work in (John Deere dealership) the warrantees are in the dealers hands. If you write up a convincing story for the warranty there usually are no questions, it's paid and everyone is happy. We also take care of things that WE mess up during installation which it sounds like happened to you. Sound to me like they just don't want to eat their mistake.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:06 AM
Roadman56
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warranty

Sorry to hear about your problem. I remember taking my last bike to the dealer for an inspection and being told that I would need fork seals. I made an appointment that day and when I brought it to them I asked when they thought I could come back to pick it up. Note I dropped it off the day before my appointment. They said that because it was a vintage bike they were not sure. I picked up the bike at the end of the next day and everything looked fine. A day or so later I washed the bike and found scratches in the top tree and a dent in my headlight. I never bothered to go back to them because of the usual dealer run around. It sucks when they preach the certified thing and get high hourly rates and your machine is returned greasy and damaged. It may be another unit to them passing through the door but it is our pride and joy. I hope you get some satisfaction with your problem.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:21 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

i agree it is true. it is up to the dealer and each dealer is differnt.bikes and auto's they are all about the same way. makes you wonder why we bother.95% of all of it is just B.S.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:00 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I learned a long time ago to go over the vehicle before leaving the sealer after work is performed. Sad it comes to that but you have to do it.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:59 PM
70mach1
Road Master

I dont believe for one minute there has to be a recall or whatever to be able to have it fixed under warranty .As far as my front motor mount goes .
So I,LL have to ask the sevice rep if there was a recall on my triple tree ..
If its broke and under warranty and they are qualified Harley Mechanics. FIX IT .
We all paid dearly to own a part of History, Theres no reason to screw the consumer that just put $$$$ in there (dealers ) pockets ...

Old 09-30-2008, 11:11 PM
swwilson77
Cruiser

Last edited by swwilson77; 02-24-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:15 AM
FatBobRay
Tourer

I would definitely call the MOCO directly and complain. Sounds like you're being shafted ... SOMEONE affiliated with HD has to care about customer service!

Last edited by FatBobRay; 10-01-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:51 AM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Where is this place?

Although I'm only getting your side of story but sounds like the dealer was understaffed so somebody was hurrying to complete the job. One problem with "flat rate": mech doesn't make any money unless he is quick and being quick can make you sloppy. That's as much as I can defend them on this job. If I got this right, you took you bike in for lower triple tree oxidation, they replaced the complete tree, but you discovered gouges (not the machine marks by triple tree pinch bolt threads) and several other items not repaired/assembled correctly. You then took bike back and dealership is hedging on fixing now. If this is correct, then to answer your questions:
"Arent ther mechanics HD Qualified ??" Yes. The more PhD (or trained) mechanics the dealer ship has, the more they get toward MOCO award points (Company prestige + newer bikes, first): look for the gold-silver-bronze dealerships. They will have the best techs (and the highest rates)! I'll be working at one in a few months and will be the "entry level" spud. I however know how to change out a triple tree without damaging and do the alignment and cable routing correctly but will probably be doing PDI's and grunt work at first.
"Cant they decide if a part is bad or not ??" Yes but not for reimbursement. If the dealer performs the work, the MOCO has final say over whether or not they will reimburse the dealer for the work or parts. But your part wasn't "bad" the repair was, correct? Bad repair is NOT warranty work if they are trying to pass it off as. They pay.
"Why does there have to be a recall to warranty something on a HD ..???" There does not! The original was maybe covered by warranty but the botched repair work is not. For unsat work, even if it's just customer not happy with, there is also a "customer satisfaction fund" paid by the dealer (not MOCO) to fix this at no cost to you or the mechanic pays (if he's over his 'incidental' fund) for the repair. If it is something from the machining process of the part, it is not warranty.
"If you are in warranty and somethings wrong with your bike why shouldn't they fix it ??" Depends on if it is a "warrantly item"; I'm actually surprised they covered the "oxidation" at first since this would be a "wear & tear" item. In other words, some things are (engine, powertrain) and others aren't (i.e.: the tail light lens falls off).
"Ive never herd of having to have a recall or whatever to fix a problem, Anyone else ever herd of this or are they blowing smoke up my a$$ ?????" Smoke, if you're referring to the original oxidation, aluminum will oxidize (why I changed out any to chrome) and BS if for the minor dented one (they did it) or TRUE if the part has this from the machining process ('all parts come like this'). Is it so bad they can't buff it?
"I reminded service I had extended 3 year warranty and it will be fixed .." Not a question of warranty: if THEY screwed up a brand new part during the installation, THEY need to fix.

Quick Reply: Warranty, No recall ??? Is it just me .......