Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet buffeting w/windshield

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 01:21 AM
Truman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the shorter smoked windshield for my 08 RK and had a huge problem with the wind deflecting over the top and hitting me square in the eyes, the buffeting was so bad my glasses bounced around like crazy, a friend had the shortest smoked one for sale, I think 4 inches shorter than the one I bought, It was just as bad and unusable on the freeway. I sold the short one I bought, I like the look much better without it and when a shield is necessary for a long trip I'll use the stock clear one, no buffeting with the extra height.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:43 AM
doublenaughtspy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add a fork bag on the trees below the headlamp. It made a world of difference on my wide glide, plus the extra storage doesn't hurt...

Old 09-23-2008, 07:57 AM
AbqDave
Tourer
Received 186 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by coliseum
When I changed the seat to the Sundowner it helped a lot... I also changed my helmet to a Momo Fighter and I dont feel any buffeting now.
Wow that's a cool helmet. Someone mentioned that the ACC carbon fiber helmet isn't prone to buffeting. I wonder if full face helmets aren't particularly prone to buffeting; on mine it seems like the chin guard catches the air blasting off my chest...

A lot of people have reported that putting a spoiler in between the fork legs, or using a tool bag as a spoiler helps. Doesn't work for everybody, and it didn't do much if anything for my Dyna.

The windshield is not a good design for Dyna; if it doesn't keep the wind from blasting your chest I guess it's not doing what it's supposed to.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:50 AM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

I cut 4 inches off my quick release shield, and it definitely helped. I'll end up getting the Rifle Soloshield when I have some extra money. On my Suzuki V-Strom, the buffeting was pretty bad stock, but there was an aftermarket mount available that allowed for height and angle adjustment. Raking the top of the shield back towards the rider helped TONS. I think that's the key here. Instead of the shield straight up and down like a barn door in the wind, rake it back a tad and it becomes more streamlined. The Rifle windscreen allows for lots of rake and height adjustment; I'm confident this will solve the buffeting.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:12 AM
cstolp
Road Captain

I tried all of the mention things and no joy. I sold my HD quick release and bought a memphis fats 19" and matching lowers. I would have kept the HD but wanted a color tint. At first I was really dreading them as I didn't like the look (lowers), but they have grown on me. Problem solved! A coworker was having similar issues and after I placed the lowers on mine he ordered a set and informs me it made a world of difference for him as well. I have a picture of my bike in my album if you care to see what it looks like.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:36 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Guys, try increasing the angle of the shield so it slips through the air better, aerodynamic style. I kicked the bottom of mine out 2" and it now works great .

The top of the shield should be about even with the middle of your nose. That allows you to see over the glass and makes the air current run just over the top of your head or helmet.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:42 PM
eazyride
Cruiser

the buffeting occurs to either full or half face helmet. i once had the windshield on my roadking n had my helmet shaking when riding over 55mph. That also still happens when i ride my dad's ultra, i replaced the stock wind deflector to the 3" or 4" one..
sometimes i gotta sort of bow my head down behind the front shield to avoid the wind turbulence.

stock windshield height not great in rain, kinda blocks vision, raindrops wouldnt run as fast as on car windshield.

so i think it's either u get rid of the w/shield or wear the half helmet (not half face), or should i say quarter helmet.

Last edited by eazyride; 09-23-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:45 PM
cstolp
Road Captain

OK this is funny! I just realized you are the guy that bought my WS! Get the memphis shades lowers!

Old 09-23-2008, 03:26 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by eazyride
the buffeting occurs to either full or half face helmet. i once had the windshield on my roadking n had my helmet shaking when riding over 55mph. That also still happens when i ride my dad's ultra, i replaced the stock wind deflector to the 3" or 4" one..
sometimes i gotta sort of bow my head down behind the front shield to avoid the wind turbulence.

stock windshield height not great in rain, kinda blocks vision, raindrops wouldnt run as fast as on car windshield.

so i think it's either u get rid of the w/shield or wear the half helmet (not half face), or should i say quarter helmet.
Yeh I guess those are your only options...

Old 09-23-2008, 03:53 PM
ncdan
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Put a set of fork lowers on, and it will end most of any form of unwanted air flow. I just did on my superglide, smooth ridding now.

Quick Reply: Helmet buffeting w/windshield