Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinion

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Double00Aught
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb opinion

I'm making a list of winter mods to do over the limited riding months. I've already decided to lower the rear and lift the tank. The only thing I can't make up my mind on is to go with baby ape bars or drag bars with risers. I like the way it looks both ways. As far as comfort I'd think the apes would be better, but I like the drag bars too.

I'm just looking for some input more than anything else as far as comfort and functionality in either set of bars. Thanks, Mike

Old 09-22-2008, 06:11 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

DRAGS man... i bet it will be the new apes next year... personally i like the bars like Ed is runing the flat trackers for comfort and style... i will either go with those or beach bars as my 3rd set of bars... i have almost finished my quick change set up for my drags...

Old 09-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Nightster_Reaper
Tourer

they do both look good and pending the height of the risers will determine how far u bend over and how tall you are. if you want some aggressive riding drags are the way to go. mini apes can also be good for aggressive but not as much as drags. although i ride real hard with mine. have you ever considered z bars? lickscycles.com makes 10" ones the equivalent to mini apes but your hands would be in more of drag bars reach. just something for thought.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Roadman56
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default opinion

May not have to do cables with drags those flat track bars look good

Old 09-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Double00Aught
Road Master

Originally Posted by Roadman56
May not have to do cables with drags those flat track bars look good
That's a good point. I hadn't yet considered that.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Double00Aught
Road Master

Originally Posted by Nightster_Reaper
they do both look good and pending the height of the risers will determine how far u bend over and how tall you are. if you want some aggressive riding drags are the way to go. mini apes can also be good for aggressive but not as much as drags. although i ride real hard with mine. have you ever considered z bars? lickscycles.com makes 10" ones the equivalent to mini apes but your hands would be in more of drag bars reach. just something for thought.
I have looked at Z bars. I think I need to see them in person to appreciate them. I'm really leaning toward the drag bars, not sure what rise I'd need. I hear 3" everywhere, I may look into that.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Double00Aught
Road Master

Originally Posted by JRK5892
DRAGS man... i bet it will be the new apes next year... personally i like the bars like Ed is runing the flat trackers for comfort and style... i will either go with those or beach bars as my 3rd set of bars... i have almost finished my quick change set up for my drags...
I'm not a big beach bar fan, but think it could look good on the right bike. I agree with you on the drags, I'm really liking them. What's this on quick change? That sounds interesting, I might be interested in that.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:53 AM
Nightster_Reaper
Tourer

how tall are you? i would say go with a 4 or 6 inch rise but your hieght would play the biggest factor.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:29 AM
cornishman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi MT, i had a similar problem in not being able to judge if the bars i fancied would suit me and be comfortable.
My solution was to make up a wire copy ( i used 1/4" pipe mould wire ) of the Chubby wild ones. The bar sizes are on most makers web sites, and it was dead easy to bend up the wire. In fact i made up more than one set and tried them sat ontop of the existing bars. Not 100% accurate but near enough to get the right or wrong feel.
As i,d internally wired one set of bars, i wanted these to be right.LOL
Hope this helps

Old 09-23-2008, 12:57 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

get some full size apes that put your hands up at shoulder height!!!!!
Internally wire em...
I bought the mini apes and have em 80º upright... I will get some internal wiring bars sooner or later! much more 'on a Harley' feel to me than some drags/ low bars...
Ever see a metric with apes??.... alot come stock with drags... knuckles in the wind !!!