Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where's Nuetral?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 08:06 PM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Where's Nuetral?

When I bought my Bob the dealer said my bike was made after the problem with the trans. was fixed. So every once in awhile I would have trouble finding nuetral, no big deal. Well since I'v put on my forward controls it's harder than ever to find nuetral. I had read in other threads of people intalling the 06 controls the way the 05 controls install (without removing the primary and switching out the shifter arm) thats what I did. Is my half *** control install my problem or could it really be the trans.? Shifting in general isn't a problem and the bike runs great, I just cant seem to find nuetral when I park.

Old 03-27-2006, 08:29 PM
BlackOak
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Where's Nuetral?

I alwys leave mine in 1st gear when I park and use the kill switch...old habit I guess...as I've seen some just roll off the kickstand. But to answer your question, its between 1st & 2nd.....

Old 03-27-2006, 08:32 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: HOGRIDA_06

When I bought my Bob the dealer said my bike was made after the problem with the trans. was fixed. So every once in awhile I would have trouble finding nuetral, no big deal. Well since I'v put on my forward controls it's harder than ever to find nuetral. I had read in other threads of people intalling the 06 controls the way the 05 controls install (without removing the primary and switching out the shifter arm) thats what I did. Is my half *** control install my problem or could it really be the trans.? Shifting in general isn't a problem and the bike runs great, I just cant seem to find nuetral when I park.
I put on one of H-D's shifter arm covers and had to adjust the shifter arm by making it longer to accept the cover.

A positive by-product of this lengthening was that my hit and miss problem finding the neutral position on my SG was immediately cured.

Try messing with the length adjustment on the shift arm and see if it helps.

Primo

Old 03-27-2006, 08:43 PM
ChiTownDaddy
Advanced

I had trouble with my BOB today, which was also delivered today! I had difficulty hitting nuetral coasting into the garage and once stopped. What I found out was that the shift to nuetral is very small, just a tiny nudge and it gets there. When I clicked the peg to hard it went right past nuetral.

Primo, the peg and the shifter peg seem a bit awkward to me. I am a first time rider so I don't know "how" the fit should be exactly. Specifically, I find myself lifting my left foot off the peg to shift down. I don't know if this is correct, but my shifter peg seems almost to close to my leg. Now I have no problem at all with the rear brake and peg, and my foot fits perfectly over the brake pedal from the peg. If I'm reading you correctly, you adjusted your shifter arm so it is more towards the front of the bike, yes?

Old 03-27-2006, 08:57 PM
JonHanna
Road Master

I did the same install and had a problem before the recall. Now it's fine. I wonder if yours slipped throught the cracks of the tranny fix/problem from the Factory?

Old 03-27-2006, 09:02 PM
LOWTOW
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put this link on another thread...I hope I don't get busted from admin for posting it again.......I just thought it might be relevant here for the transmission also....

Recall info: http://motorcycles.about.com/cs/moto...otorecalls.htm

Old 03-27-2006, 09:10 PM
WildBill76
Tourer

Kill Switch ? I guess I better find mine. I thought the lean angle sensor took the place of it, so I never checked for a kill switch. Good luck with your neutral issue. I have a Dyna that had the recall . My Bike shifted fine before, But ! Neutral is a lot easier to find under any condition now. I also installed an oil cooler. Bike runs great.

Old 03-27-2006, 09:22 PM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I went out tonight for a short ride and when I got back it slipped right into neutral. I guess it's just fussy maybe it has something to do with how I run thru the gears or down shift. Once I'm able to ride everyday I'll be able to get a better feel for whats going on. Thanks for all your input.

Old 03-27-2006, 11:14 PM
mojo
Tourer

I have the same issue with my 06 fxdli, Finding neutral is a real pain in the a&&, It is so sensitive that I go back and forth missing it several times. With boots on you click as light as possible and still go right by it. Barefoot maybe I could get er done but that ain't gonna happen. There is a recall lsited but it says it is for a defect whcih may allow it to go in to false neutral. Does anyone know if that could be the issue even though going in to false neutral hasn't happened yet cause it won't even go in to neutral unless you have 5 minutes and alot of patience. I called the stealer and he said it's because it isn't broke in yet? My bike was purchased in the fall and winter stored for 99% of the time since then. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. mojo

Old 03-28-2006, 12:08 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have 2 suggestions:

1. Call the MoCo customer service line and give them your vin # they will confirm your bike was fixed under the recall.

2. Depending on what tran and primary oil you are using you may get different results in "feel" in clutch action and shifting. I get better shifter feel with Redline shockproof heavy transmission gear oil than the Harley oil that was in there ( costs $7.95 to find out). I have also read reports that the Mobil1 75w90 synthetic gear lube is a better feel too.

I hope that helps. KB

Quick Reply: Where's Nuetral?