Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Big Shots Staggered baffles tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 03:59 PM
jaystone
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V&H Big Shots Staggered baffles tuning question

Looking for some advice. I have a 2005 Dyna Wide Glide with the stage I download, high flow air cleaner and Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered. I had the quiet baffles in them. (What a pain to get those out with that asbestos wrap or whatever that was!) I put the original baffles back in. Will I need to change anything or get a different download, get a fuelpak(or similar), etc? Anybody done this before? Thanks.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:00 PM
phreak
Road Master
Default RE: V&H Big Shots Staggered baffels tuning question

You should be just phine as is. Everything I have read states that the Quiet baffles create a bit more torque, then the stock baffles. The wrap changes the exhaust tone.

With the stock baffles back in you aren't changing the A/F ratio enough to warrant any phurther changes to your ECM.

Old 03-28-2006, 12:26 AM
05 Wd Gld
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jaystone, I have an 05 wide glide with carb, high flow ac, V&H Big Shots Staggered with the normal baffles. I was wondering why you changed out the baffles from the quiet baffles to the stock baffles? Did you notice much difference in the sound of the pipes with the quiet baffles. Such as tone and level of decibels? How about performance between the two different baffles. Thanks.

Old 03-28-2006, 12:57 AM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

hey jaystone i was woundering the same question ^^^^^^^

Old 03-28-2006, 01:37 AM
jaystone
Road Captain

The reason why I wanted to change those back was, I bought some saddlebags from a guy I ride with occasionally, he said it made a huge difference in the decibel level when he had those bags on. I like a good rumble, but not too obnoxious. I just thought with the quiet baffels it would to quiet, for me. Wasn't quite sure if I wanted to do until I was at a motorcycle show up in St. Paul, MN last weekend and heard a Harley that sounded really good to me. As it drove by slow I could see that it was the Big Shots Staggered, then I made up my mind. I knew those weren't the quiet baffels because that is all I have ever had in my pipes. I just changed the baffels last night and have not put the pipes back on the bike yet. I had the pipes off because I have been doing some mods which required me to take the exhaust off. I will have to let you know if it changes any performance or sound.

Old 03-28-2006, 01:46 AM
05 Wd Gld
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jason, I was at the same show on Saturday. You must be speaking of the Donnie Smith show. Wow did they have some good paint jobs on display. Lots of people too. Anyway, I would really like to know how changing those baffles turns out for you, I think that there are several others with the same thoughts. Maybe you can have them changed out by this weekend. It is supposed to be nice out.

Keep us posted and Thanks.

Old 03-28-2006, 02:13 AM
jaystone
Road Captain

I should get it done by Friday. I am riding it to my local Harley dealership and they are going to install a chrome inner primary for me. It's about a 50 miles ride so I should be able to see what the difference is. I will try and reply this weekend. And maybe then I will spell BAFFLE right!

Old 03-28-2006, 04:07 PM
jhampshire
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 02 dyna with Stage 1 intake and Big Shot Staggered. It ran a little lean when I got it and was rough on really hot days. Because of ear pain, About a month ago I put quiet baffles in. The fiberglass packing mellows the tone quite a bit. It went from ungodly loud to really loud. As a result it runs a little richer, has better low end torque, and I am allowed to ride up in the pack. The down side is, my wife can't hear me coming a mile away, now it's more like 1/2 mile. The torque is off a little above 3000 RPM but not much. My ears stopped ringing about a week ago (I'm not kidding).

Good luck

Old 03-28-2006, 06:05 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

jhampshire did it cut the sound in 1/2 or 1/4 or 3/4?from the regular baffles

Old 03-28-2006, 10:58 PM
StreetBob
Cruiser

How hard is it to change the baffles on the V&H Big Shots? Are there many differences in the stock baffles to the "torque cones" or the other baffles (BCT)?
I'm interested in trying other things even though I do like what I got.

Name:  bob.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  38.4 KB

Quick Reply: V&H Big Shots Staggered baffles tuning question