Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Big Shots Staggered baffles tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 11:07 PM
jaystone
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: V&H Big Shots Staggered baffels tuning question

You have to take off the heat shields to get to the screw that holds the baffles in. It's easier, I think, if you have the pipes off the bike. Actually you may have to do that. If they would have cut the heat shield back another inch on the back you could pull out the screw for the baffles and pull them right out. The stock one will come out easy, it's the quiet baffles that are a pain to get out once they have been installed. The quiet baffles are suppose to give you a little more torque.

Old 03-28-2006, 11:13 PM
jhampshire
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About 20% overall, but that reaking glass sound is outta there. I'm keeping them.

Old 04-04-2006, 01:31 AM
jaystone
Road Captain

It was pouring rain on Friday so I decided to haul it. I would say it is about 1/3 louder with the original baffles. Have not had a chance to ride yet, but hopefully on Friday I will get it back. Weather permitting I will take it for a nice long ride. I will let you know on what I think of any performance changes.

Old 04-04-2006, 09:49 AM
03DWG
Intermediate
Default RE: V&H Big Shots Staggered baffles tuning question

StreetBob,
I took out all the VH baffles and went with Thundermonsters, awesome alarm setting-off sound. Best $80.00 spent.
Kept all the torque and probably got some, just haven't put it on a dyno yet to verify.

Scott

Old 04-04-2006, 09:56 AM
05 Wd Gld
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I went ahead and made the change to mine on Saturday. The change was easy enough. Took about 30 minutes with all the fooling around that went with it. I am completely sold on the quiet baffles. "Quiet" could only be considered a relative term in this application. They are about 25% quieter than the original baffles that came in the BSS. I actually think these new baffles sound better than the originals. They seem to make a much lower tone than the originals. I have a carbed bike and didn't notice any difference in the performance between the two baffles. I am glad that I made the change.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:44 AM
jaystone
Road Captain

When I had the quiet baffles in everyone really liked the sound, including me. Just wanted to try the originals to see what the difference was.

When taking out the quiet baffles all of the fiberglass wrap came off and was ruined. If I decide to put them back in; do you think I can put them in without that on there? Sounds like for the most part people that went to the quiet baffles like them more.

Old 04-05-2006, 01:58 AM
05 Wd Gld
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that if you wanted to put the quiet baffles back in they will be a little louder without the fiberglass packing. If you wanted to get some fiberglass packing I think I saw some either in the JP catalog or Dennis Kirk. Look in the exhaust sections, I think you can find it there.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:13 PM
CycleDrider
Road Master
Default RE: V&H Big Shots Staggered baffles tuning question

Just a thought here. I have the same bike with VH Big radius, stage 1 and AF. Before I put the cam's in, I installed 2 thing's below.

1. The DFO from Dobeck. This actually straightened out some flat spots on the fuel map that I noticed. Mid thottle there was a flat spot and on decel there was back firing. These things weren't real bad. But I added the DFO, ( it was resonable) and it rode real nice. No back firing and constant acceleration.

2. I added thunder monster baffle's. This added some low end torque. But they where a little to loud for me. So I'm back at the stock baffle's.

Bottom line if you want a little more out of your setup you can add the TFI/DFO and it is easy to tune. Also it is easy to install as well and all plug's no splicing. If you are not going to do major work to the motor it's a good choice. IMHO.

Old 04-09-2006, 11:59 PM
jaystone
Road Captain

Finally got to take it out today for a 200 mile ride! Didn't notice much of anything as far as performance, louder for sure. It is not a lot louder for me riding though with the Iron Saddle Bags on. I know for everyone behind though, it is. Thinking about just switching back to the quiet baffles though, I liked the tone a little more, or trying the Thundermonsters. I have heard good things about those.