Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to do after riding in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008 | 08:22 AM
norris
|
Cruiser
Default what to do after riding in the rain

I road my street bob to work, yesturday. After working 16hrs. it was pouring for most of my 25 mile drive home this morning. I fired up the leaf blower to blow off the bike when I got home, andtoweled it off. Just interested what everybody else does after a ride in the rain
Thanks
Norris

Old 09-20-2008 | 08:37 AM
firefighter3666
Road Master

Hopefully you rinsed (or better, washed) the bike before attacking it with a leaf blower and towel.

Old 09-20-2008 | 11:24 AM
JRK5892
Banned

WASH IT FIRST!!!! the acids in rain water and all the grime kicked up from the road is no good... wash the bike then dry her down... right as "rain" after that!

Old 09-20-2008 | 12:50 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member

Get myself dry and in dry clothes. Wash and clean bike. Kick back and wait for the sun to shine.

Old 09-20-2008 | 01:17 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior

Ya gotta love that sandy grit that gets all over you and the bike when you have to ride in the rain. I don't worry about the bikes finish too much anymore (I regard dirt as a protective layer). I am concerned about the rear drive chain, that grit ain't good for it or the sprockets but if I have to ride in the rain for a few days, there is no point in cleaning it off. I wait until the weather shows some promise of no precipitation before cleaning it up (of course, I'm not gonna let it go too long without servicing my chain, rain or not). In your case, I would be concerned about the interface between the rear drive belt and the sprockets...maybe hose that off when time permits (like maybe, MAKE the time). For the folks that have a seat sitting directly on the fender and they want to keep the finish under there as nice as possible, they probably should clean under that carefully. My bike works for a living, just like me, so dirt and grime are secondary to performance and safety.

Last edited by megawatt; 09-20-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-20-2008 | 01:32 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior

I tell the wife to find me some dry clothes and a towel pronto, get me a sambich and a brewski and get the hell out to the garage and get that bike shined up. I'm not sure how she cleans it though.

(she'd kill me if she knew I just even thought of this)

Old 09-20-2008 | 03:20 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

leave it dirty... sort of a right of passage... shows you ride it not just shine it
also leave the clothes dirty too... just let em air dry...

Old 09-20-2008 | 03:25 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Hmm, well, I usually squoosh my way into the house where I can disrobe, get dried off and into some dry warm stuff. Grab a cup of coffee and don't worry bout the bike till I need to worry about it. I don't have a garage other than one of those 'pull-out' party tents that I park under just to shield 'her' from the major elements. I've had to ride through flooded streets where you couldn't even tell where the road was and was not, torrential downpours for 80 miles and 30-45mph winds. I'm just happy to get to my destination safe and sound.

Old 09-20-2008 | 03:32 PM
billyboy890
Extreme HDF Member

l hate rain,seen me take the bike out of the garage go inside to put me leathers on come out,rain,push the bike back into the garage and go down the pub to drown my sorrows,but having said that got caught in heavy rain at a bike show
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-20-2008 | 03:33 PM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member

First thing to do is wash it good. Then use a leaf blower to dry. I try to watch the weather before goin out for the day or to work. Not that I'm a fair weather rider but I keep the scoot in the house and let's say there is a certain somebody that doesn't appreciate wet tracks across the kitchen floor.

Quick Reply: what to do after riding in the rain