Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Hard To Install Stage 1 A/C

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 12:41 PM
kaduku
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How Hard To Install Stage 1 A/C

Okay, I am not mechanically inclined. I plan to install the Stage 1 myself to save money, then bring the bike to HD dealer for download. I will also install the SE2s myself.
How hard is it to install the Stage 1? If I do install it at my place, is it okay for me to drive it to the dealership (2 miles) without any damage to the bike?

I know, these questions sound stupid, but thats the reason why I go to forums, because this is the place to get to straight answers

Old 03-27-2006, 12:43 PM
vulhalla
Road Master
Default RE: How Hard To Install Stage 1 A/C

questions are not stupid, I dont know either

Old 03-27-2006, 12:51 PM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well,.... I kinda had the same question, and I asked my dealer and was advised that the bike runs lean from the factory and with the new exhaust and new A/C it would be running even more lean. So,.... since I live over 70 miles from my dealer I was just gonna put the parts on myself and trailer my bike to the dealer, but I decided NOT to do the factory download and I now plan on just buying a PCIII. In the end it will only cost me appx 100-150 more than what I was gonna have to pay the dealer to do the download and it will be much better in the end.

John

Old 03-27-2006, 12:57 PM
CHEESE
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my story about the SE A/C...

First I had warranty concerns so I talked to the dealer. They wanted 180 for the parts alone, then 120 an hour or something for labor with a one hour minimum. I bought the A/C from Eastern Performance for a LOT cheaper, and installed it myself in about 15 minutes. Installing the air cleaner requires two skills: 1. The ability to read English. 2. The knowledge of "righty tighty, lefty loosey". Really, if you can operate a screwdriver you can do it.

The same goes for installing pipes, especially slip ons. If your bike is EFI, you can add a Powercommander just as easily and avoid the dealer all together. I did my pipes (pythons, not slip ons, so it was a little more involved), air cleaner, and Powercommander in about two hours and $700 (roughly). I would also not consider myself "mechanically inclined" and I thought it was a piece of cake.

Just my two cents, do it all yourself...

Old 03-27-2006, 01:08 PM
Whiffleboy
Road Master

I am in the same boat mechanically, but, I installed the A/C and slip-ons without incident and found it to be easy. Just follow the directions and make sure you have a torque wrench. It's really nothing more than unbolting stuff and bolting other stuff back on. I think you would be fine driving a couple miles to your dealer for the download. Or, why not install your slip-ons, drive to the dealer, get the reflash and put on the A/C once you get home?

Whiff

Old 03-27-2006, 01:45 PM
kaduku
Road Captain

Hey Whiff,
Now I am really confused! I thought you have to do the reflash once you have the A/C on, not afterwards ??? I know you can do the slip-ons without either the A/C or download, right ??? Isn't the reflash based on your exhaust and a/c setup ???, meaning if I get a reflash on the exhaust alone, would I need to have it reflashed again with the a/c installed afterwards. ?????

Old 03-27-2006, 03:00 PM
SUPER01
Road Warrior

You could do the install yourself then drive it to the dealer for the download, 2 miles is not that far. It's not hard to install, if the muffler doesn't come off easy, just spray some liquid wrench where it is joined and wait for it to work it's way in. You would want the AC on before you have the reflash done. You really need a torque wrench to tighten everything down to spec. though.
You don't need HD items to be a stage 1.
I just picked up a set of Cycle Shack slip ons and a Arlen Ness big sucker air cleaner for $265 total from the local indy. I have a carb so I don't need to go to the dealer. The slip-ons sound awesome![sm=smiley20.gif]
Hope this helps.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:03 PM
wild wally
Road Master

ORIGINAL: kaduku

Hey Whiff,
Now I am really confused! I thought you have to do the reflash once you have the A/C on, not afterwards ??? I know you can do the slip-ons without either the A/C or download, right ??? Isn't the reflash based on your exhaust and a/c setup ???, meaning if I get a reflash on the exhaust alone, would I need to have it reflashed again with the a/c installed afterwards. ?????
nope, the flash is just generic with only one setting. Either way, I don't think a two mile drive to the dealer with the SEAC will hurt anything, especially if the outside temperature is somewhat cool.

And as others mentioned, the AC and pipes are both easy to install.

Wally

Old 03-27-2006, 05:25 PM
LeavenworthJeff
Cruiser

I put my SE II on first and then drove 15 miles over to the dealer for them to put the download in and the Ness Big Sucker AC. My dealer said it would be ok, but the end of the pipes (SE II turn outs) would turn slightly yellow. I don't know if they all turn out that way, but sure enough the area that the bolgona cut shows on the inside of the pipe turned slightly yellow. It doesn't bother me and I hardly notice now since the the bike is running a little richer now. However if you are **** retentive then you might wait. However in 2 miles the bike will hardly get hot, so I think you would be ok. Also for most people the SE II are temporary fix and will later on go to a full exhaust. I tell you owning a Harley is an illness, but it is one I don't want a cure for.[8D]

LeavenworthJeff
05 FXDI Silver

Old 03-27-2006, 05:35 PM
kaduku
Road Captain

Hey Whiff,
Did the inside of your SE2s turn yellowish?

Quick Reply: How Hard To Install Stage 1 A/C