Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy FXDL or build one from a FXD

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 05:52 AM
DGDyna
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Buy FXDL or build one from a FXD

The Low Rider has everything I want but can I buy a Super Glide and get better accessories (2-up seat, passenger pegs, highway pegs and a tach) for the extra $3k? I was a certified motorcycle mechanic in the 70’s so I’m inclined to want to build it myself. Also, I’m in Iraq so I don’t have access to either bike or stealers.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:41 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Low rider has black motor different tank and console I think to do it your self will wind up quite a bit mor expensive depending on how far you go

Old 09-16-2008, 07:13 AM
dewalt-2
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I'm doing. Bought a bare bones Super Glide and going from there. It's mine, and won't be like any other. Don't really care about the cost to do it.

So far with a lot more to come...

Old 09-16-2008, 07:31 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

BUy the lowrider...don't build one from the FXD!!!!
An FXDC is better choice if you want to save a couple grand over the lowrider...It has chrome and a fatbob tank(also set up for 2up)...either the FXD or FXDC has a silver engine so if you have the money for black engine get it cause you'll be kicking yourself for allowing the price to overweigh what you really want!!!

Old 09-16-2008, 08:04 AM
dewalt-2
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I'm on the other side of the consensus, but I loved the silver engine the minute I saw it on the Pewter Pearl bike. With a few chrome tidbits it'll produce a nice combination that's very different than the black and chrome standard.
JMHO

Old 09-16-2008, 08:44 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member

When I was in the market, I liked the Low Rider, but could only afford the FXDI (also, had the sell the purchase and price to wife).

I have spent the last 18 months making it what I wanted. Half the fun has been doing the work myself and sneaking the purchases in the house, then on the bike.

I have now tied up about the same amount of money for which I could have gotten a nice Low Rider. What I like is the fact my bike is personalized. I enjoy people asking, "What model of Harley is that?"

What I bought:

What I have:

Last edited by jmpancoast; 09-16-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:40 PM
DGDyna
Tourer

jmpamcoast - How did you solve the speedo/tach problem? I wanted to get a HD tach so the instruments would match. Is that why you went with Dakota Digital (just a guess) so it would look better? Where did you get the front signal kit? Did the FXDI come with forwards?

It's interesting to see that FXDC riders are commenting. The Custom is also one of my choices. My main concern is the seat. How is the 2-up seat on the Custom and the Low Rider? I'm sure I can get pegs anywhere but are they just as expensive as HD?

Old 09-16-2008, 12:53 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DGDyna
The Low Rider has everything I want but can I buy a Super Glide and get better accessories (2-up seat, passenger pegs, highway pegs and a tach) for the extra $3k? I was a certified motorcycle mechanic in the 70’s so I’m inclined to want to build it myself. Also, I’m in Iraq so I don’t have access to either bike or stealers.
Get the lowrider. I priced it out and negotiated another $1k off the price of the FXDLI. Way easier and you get the black motor. Pick a dealer like mine who will give you a military discount. Mine is Liberty HD in Akron, OH.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:21 PM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Exactly...

Originally Posted by dewalt-2
I guess I'm on the other side of the consensus, but I loved the silver engine the minute I saw it on the Pewter Pearl bike. With a few chrome tidbits it'll produce a nice combination that's very different than the black and chrome standard.
JMHO
Amen Brother!

Cheers,

Tom

Old 09-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Royce
Stellar HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

DGDyna - I agree with dewalt-2 and ZeroFiveFour on the silver engine. It does look great and doesn't show dirt and grime very much.

As for the seat comfort on the FXDC, it's not too bad, but it's not that great either. If you're on short rides, it doesn't matter that much. Right now for longer rides I'm using the Butt Buffer that I had on my '99 1200C. It was a necessity on the Sporty until I bought a Mustang seat. In the future I plan on sending my stock seat off to Mean City Cycles (http://www.meancitycycles.com/) to have some of their memory foam installed. It's relatively cheap (certainly cheaper than a Mustang, Corbin, La Pera or H-D seat) and if you decide to buy a different seat, you don't have that much money invested. I don't think that you'll find a significant difference between the FXDC and FXDL seats as they're both stock H-D.

Quick Reply: Buy FXDL or build one from a FXD