Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have problems getting down the kickstand on a Wide Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 12:15 AM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I gave it a try for 5 months. Maybe it's because my legs are short that I just couldn't get the proper leverage. Sometimes I'd grab it, get it half way down....then I'd lose the grab and up it would go.....and I I'd end up "strumming the banjo". Now, I have absolutely no problems with the extension.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:32 PM
HDBRATT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LWOS
It was MISSION IMPOSSIBLE for me to get that jiffy stand down on my 07 Low Rider. Try as I might, I just couldnt hook my heel on it, and hold the bike up at the same time. I was on my tip toes in the first place. So over the winter of 2007-2008 I had them lower my Low Rider with 11" progressive 430's AND add the extension to the jiffy. Now I can put both feet flat on the ground and grab that stand extension with no problem. Made a world of difference. Yea, I dont like the looks either....but better that than looking like an IDIOT trying to get the stand down in a crowd.
Yeah I can imagine trying to get the damn thing down in front of a bunch of bikers. LOL....I hope this helps.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:07 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyTrish
Yeah I can imagine trying to get the damn thing down in front of a bunch of bikers. LOL....I hope this helps.
don't worry about your image ... half the croud aint bikers...they be RUB's...get out and ride... the more you drop the stand the more you will find it naturally....BTW over 1/2 the women riders round here(our area) look nervous, dangerous on their bike so Relax... we have all been new at this before!

Old 09-14-2008, 06:12 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2000 WG and I have had the worst time trying to get the kick stand down when I am getting off of the bike. I just went today and bought the jiffy extension but it looks like my extension is too big for the kickstand. I mean it is the right part it just looks a bit odd.
Originally Posted by LWOS
I gave it a try for 5 months. Maybe it's because my legs are short that I just couldn't get the proper leverage. Sometimes I'd grab it, get it half way down....then I'd lose the grab and up it would go.....and I I'd end up "strumming the banjo". Now, I have absolutely no problems with the extension.
Sounds like y'all have the same problem that I had. With the stock seat I could not find the jiffy stand for nothing, had the "Reach" seat installed, now the jiffy stand is on Automatic, never fail to find it anymore.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:01 PM
HDBRATT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by rounder
don't worry about your image ... half the croud aint bikers...they be RUB's...get out and ride... the more you drop the stand the more you will find it naturally....BTW over 1/2 the women riders round here(our area) look nervous, dangerous on their bike so Relax... we have all been new at this before!
Hey Matt,

Thanks for the advise. OK so what is a RUB? And I will try my best not to be nervous. Honestly, I am more nervous about the idiots in cages more than anything.

And it is noce to know I wasn't the only one with this damn kickstand. Thanks everyone.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:42 PM
kevinhdy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the exact same problem with my 1999 Wide Glide, until (as someone here has already mentioned) I repositioned the rubber thing that is on the frame down there near the kickstand. That keeps the kickstand far enough away from the frame that you can get it with your foot easily, no need for an extension. That rubber thing has a long side that should be faced toward the kickstand. the kickstand should rest on it when retracted.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:47 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Im used to it now also but have thought about this extention

Old 09-15-2008, 04:40 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the advise. OK so what is a RUB? And I will try my best not to be nervous. Honestly, I am more nervous about the idiots in cages more than anything.

And it is noce to know I wasn't the only one with this damn kickstand. Thanks everyone.
RUB= rich urban biker.... Not a bad thing mind you but not really a "biker" either...
Also there is nothing wrong with you practicing in your garage on using the stand and moving it around a little to get used to the weight of the bike underneath you

Old 09-15-2008, 06:45 PM
sargek
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
When I first got the bike, I was always digging around for the stand with my foot. Now that I know where it is, my foot just goes to the right spot, not a problem.
Ditto +1

Old 09-15-2008, 06:48 PM
sargek
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by kevinhdy
I had the exact same problem with my 1999 Wide Glide, until (as someone here has already mentioned) I repositioned the rubber thing that is on the frame down there near the kickstand. That keeps the kickstand far enough away from the frame that you can get it with your foot easily, no need for an extension. That rubber thing has a long side that should be faced toward the kickstand. the kickstand should rest on it when retracted.
It's also easy to tell when the rubber stop has moved because your jiffy stand bangs against the frame on bumps - at least mine does.

Quick Reply: Anyone have problems getting down the kickstand on a Wide Glide?