Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fxd superglide highway pegs installation.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 01:50 AM
mo-fo-joe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fxd superglide highway pegs installation.

I have a stock 2008 fxd superglide with mid controls, and stopped by the harley shop and purchased a highway peg set. Started installing the heavy duty brackets to the frame mount holes, and could not get the allen head screws to screw in far enough to where only 3 threads are showing so that the recess holes on the back side of the brackets could accept the screw and sit flush. [ screws do not thread into the bracket, they just snug up into a recess hole to support the bracket and keep it from moving ]

Each of the screws [ one for each side bracket ] Had loctite on them from the manufacturer, so i figured it was preventing the screw from going in far enough. I ended up removing the dried loctite with a scribe, and tried again. Still way too tight, and had about 6 threads still showing from the front.

Ended up getting a tap, and running it through the hole all the way till it came out the back side. Then installed the screws with no problems at all. I removed the screws and applied a few drops of blue loc tite and then installed them for good. The rest of the install was no trouble at all.

Evidently the folks at the motor company assy line may not be tapping the holes all the way through, because my tap showed quite a bit of metal shavings on the tip. I thought i would share my experience with you fellow dyna owners in case you run into the same problem.

Rode the bike tonight home from the airbase, and it sure felt good to kick my feet up on them pegs once i got up to speed to cruise.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:01 AM
nooster
Advanced

Thanks for sharing that info about the partially tapped threads.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:02 AM
mo-fo-joe
Road Captain

Originally Posted by nooster
Thanks for sharing that info about the partially tapped threads.
Your welcome bro !

Old 09-13-2008, 08:01 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

I love my highway pegs that I installed on my 07 FDX! I like my mids. However, I'm 6' tall and need to stretch.

I didn't have your problem; but nothing would surprise me....

Old 09-13-2008, 08:57 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 39,845 Likes on 13,479 Posts

MOFOJO,what size tap did you use?

Old 09-13-2008, 09:02 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same problem when i put mine on my 07 superglide i had to chace the threads with a tap.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:27 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I didnt have any issues with my 08 but looks like your not the only one with that had the issue.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:33 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Highway Pegs

It is probably paint in the bung holes. They don't get tapped after paint.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:01 PM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts

I had the same problem. Plus the tap broke when I was cleaning the last hole. It took me 3 days to get the tap out without screwing up the threads. But I did get it out and the highway pegs have been there for a couple of years now with no problems from that hole.

On a side note. I replaced my seat with a Mustang Vintage this spring. The front of the seat is cut much narrower then the stock seat. That makes keeping your feet on the highway pegs way more comfortable. With the stock seat the front of the seat would put to much pressure on your upper thigh muscle. With the narrower cut it doesn't bother it at all.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:38 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I had to chase mine with a tap also but it was from rust and crap. With the back being open moisture and crud was able to get in and do it's deed.

Rawhide, the tap is 3/8 coarse thread.

Quick Reply: fxd superglide highway pegs installation.