Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob Air Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 07:07 PM
FatBobRay
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Bob Air Cleaner

I have the forward control kit on my Fat Bob. (Was originally mid controls) The stock air cleaner seems to "stick out" too far, it's always against my knee and I have too point my foot inward to use the break. Is there a replacement cleaner that doesn't stick out as much? I know they sell extended foot pegs but i have the diamand collection on the whole bike so don't want to change foot pegs.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:48 PM
stagolee
Road Master

Originally Posted by FatBobRay
I have the forward control kit on my Fat Bob. (Was originally mid controls) The stock air cleaner seems to "stick out" too far, it's always against my knee and I have too point my foot inward to use the break. Is there a replacement cleaner that doesn't stick out as much? I know they sell extended foot pegs but i have the diamand collection on the whole bike so don't want to change foot pegs.
Try the Arlen Ness "Big Sucker".

Good luck.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:13 PM
MattsFatBob08
Advanced
Default Stage 1?

Ray,
Do you have stage 1 installed? I have the original air cleaner cover but with the Screamin Eagle air filter which adds a spacer which pushes the air cleaner farther outboard I would say another inch which in turn my knee rubs now. It came with the Stage 1 upgrade. If your still stock and the air cleaner is hitting your knee might want to go with something other than stock air cleaner if you upgrade. Just my observations.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:28 PM
benwiggin2
Road Master

if it hits now, pretty much anything else is gonna hit too.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:34 PM
Kushtaka
6th Gear

I have the forward controls as well. With the stock filter backing plate and stock filter my leg snugged right up against the cover, but it didn't push my leg out much and my foot fit just fine. I've tried something similar to the Big Sucker and I don't think it will solve your problem. I also tried a standard SE backing plate (pre '08 dyna) with the stock cover and it was horrible-- not only did it push my foot off the peg, but the top of the cover was so close to the tank that it actually contacted when the engine was revved... not good at all.

I ended up with the SE air cleaner backing plate for the '08+ dyna with the stock filter and it's just a hare farther out than stock. Your only solution may be to go with something like the HD Heavy Breather like on the CVO Fat Bob.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:42 PM
benwiggin2
Road Master

That may be in the way too, but maybe not. You can find out for about $275.00

Old 09-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Kushtaka
6th Gear

Originally Posted by benwiggin2
That may be in the way too, but maybe not. You can find out for about $275.00
That's what dealerships are for.... you just need to swing by and sit on one.

A dealer near me has this same cvo on their floor, and while I never would buy the cvo, I did have a sit to see how it felt. There's more room for your leg with the heavy breather. It may still touch a little, but nothing like the stock setup.

I think they hit you a little harder... like for $299. But it's not bad compared to what other aftermarket companies are selling similar set-ups for.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:34 PM
luckyB
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's what dealerships are for.... you just need to swing by and sit on one.
I agree... go sit on a CVO Fat Bob at a dealer and see if it works any better for you. I have forward controls and the heavy breather and don't have any issues with it being against my knee or leg.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:37 PM
owleyes
Cruiser

Or you could just ride yours the way it is till you get bow legged...then no worries...LOL

Old 09-11-2008, 10:26 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bent the brake pedal out. Well, actually, my brother did it for me. He wrapped electrical tape about it to keep from scratching it. Then he got out the biggest crescent wrench I've ever seen in my life, put it inline with the brake pedal and slowly bent it out. My knee still rests against the ac sometimes, but at least I'm using more than half my big toe to work the brake.

Quick Reply: Fat Bob Air Cleaner