Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7" Headlight anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008 | 06:04 AM
bikerx75
|
Advanced
Thumbs up 7" Headlight anyone?

Looking to put a 7" headlight on my 07 FXD. Anyone done this ?,pics please! Pros & Cons? Thanks for the Help!

Old 09-11-2008 | 06:24 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

done this about 3-4 weeks ago. it bolts right up to my narrow glide 08 street bob, what bike you got??? used stock connector. have to disassemble the connector to get wires out of stock headlight housing. then bolt up new 7" housing, assemble connector, plug in, bolt eveything up, and adjust headlight as needed. should only take an hour or so...

it does shine much more light, looks great, the only draw back i can tell is that is a seal beam light, so if it goes bad you replace the glass and all, not just a bulb like the stock headlight.

Old 09-11-2008 | 06:27 AM
bikerx75
|
Advanced

Shimmon, were did you purchase the headlight? I have 07 dyna FXD. Have pics? Thanks!

Old 09-11-2008 | 06:35 AM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member

The light output should not be a real problem. Just replace the sealed beam with a good reflector and an upgraded halogen H-4 bulb, that way if the bulb blows, it can be replaced cheap by just replacing the bulb.

Check out Daniel Stern Lighting http://www.danielsternlighting.com/ this guy knows his stuff and can fix you up with a great combination of a high quality reflector and bulb recommendation.

Old 09-11-2008 | 07:43 AM
dyna rider
Club Member
Veteran: Army
Default Head light

Shimmon- I have a couple of questions for you. Do you ride with a windshield ? Have you noticed a difference in air flow with the new headlight ? When I installed my new headlight, I got a lot more buffeting from the air flow around the light. How about you ?

Last edited by dyna rider; 09-11-2008 at 07:45 AM. Reason: correcting typos
Old 09-11-2008 | 09:06 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member

I saw a post a while back on a similar thread and a guy had a picture of his bike with a 7 in. headlight that looked great.I think he said he bought it from HD and it was for another model,maybe a softail.Anyway it was a h4 and direct plug in.Sorry I can't locate the thread now.

Old 09-11-2008 | 09:10 AM
Stanger
Road Master

Looking to do this exact same thing.

Old 09-11-2008 | 09:56 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

mine is from an older fatboy... got it from ebay for 20 bucks. put a silvania silverstar sealed beam in it 19 bucks. i have no problems with the light and now with the silverstar it is brighter than my stock light, compairing to my buddies 08 fxdc with stock light. i have heard you can buy the housing from j&p reasonably and also you can get the bulbs there to.

i do not have a windshield but i dont notice much difference in the way the wind hits it. there is a dude on here...kiwi i think... he runs a shield with his 7" light. may wanna look him up, but he may see this thread add add a little something something.

if you look up "fatboy headlight dyna" you can find numerous posts about this. i did have a thread a few weeks ago about this when i installed it, you should be able to find it rather easy, use the advanced search function and limit it with by dyna section.

i do not have a pic of the new light on at this time. but i may be able to get one up later tonight. but if you search you can see plently of pics of it on dynas. i really like the way it looks and my friends dig it too... they wanna do the same thing to their bikes.

Old 09-11-2008 | 09:58 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

wiring....
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...tboy+headlight

pics... and dude with 7" and windshield
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...tboy+headlight

hope this helps ya guys out...

Old 09-11-2008 | 09:59 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

stranger... this light would look great on your bike... maybe have the housing powder coated black and the trim ring powder coated red like your wheels... love you bike man... very old skool!!!

Quick Reply: 7" Headlight anyone?