Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

110 octane???

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:28 PM
BIGDADI
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 110 octane???

So when I had my 05 "carburetor" sportster it was nothing to occasionally fill up with some 110 octane racing gas and roll on the bike loved it, it ran better and smelled better. That being said, I figured I would treat the 09 bob and stopped to fill it up with some 110. Well almost instantly I could tell it was running "better" more throttle response and snappy. Smelled great too, any way it also started to get louder, figured more of the packing was burning out of the new SE's that I also just bent the tab down on. That night when cleaning the bike I noticed the pipes had a white residue where it was normally was black. I fiqured it was from bending down the tabs that I leaned the bike out too much so the next day I call couple places to get prices of remaps never once metioning the racing gas didnt even think it mattered. Well after awhile of thinking about it I called the dealer and asked if the gas would make it appear to be running lean and or hurt the bike, they told me I yes and I just completly screwed all the calibrations of the fuel system up and I am looking at a very expensive fix not covered by warrenty and my motor is probably screwed. After almost puking I called a local Harley certified mech "V.I.P Cycles" and asked him the same question about the gas, he told me it could give the appearance of running lean because it burns so much hotter and that he didnt recomend running it cause it could burn up my rings and or melt a hole it in the piston. That I should be fine though and just drain the tank and fill up with 92 or 93 and it will be ok. So I drained the tank as far as I could with a syphon hose and topped it off with 92 I rode for like 18miles today and noticed less popping on decel and the pipes are a little darker color but it still smells like racing gas I am sure it will take a couple of tanks to completley flush the system, but my question to you is, is the dealer right is my motor f*@ked and the system out of calibration or is the local mech right and i will be fine just dont do it agian. I only rode like 30-40miles on the striaght 110 and I notice no change in the way the bike runs except it pops a little on decel only after getting on it real hard and remember I just bent the tabs down on the SE's. Thanks Sorry for the Long Read....

Old 09-09-2008, 09:32 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Unless your compression is bumped up to where you need higher octane, you will gain nothing from trying to run 110.....Money wasted way back when in your Sportster. Money wasted now in your current bike.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:37 PM
BIGDADI
Tourer

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
Unless your compression is bumped up to where you need higher octane, you will gain nothing from trying to run 110.....Money wasted way back when in your Sportster. Money wasted now in your current bike.
well not exactly the info I was looking for but thanks I guess, I know it is meant for high compression engines I ran it in my 13:1 Honda 400ex race quad, but if 89 is better then 87 and 93 is better then 91 then 110 should be great and it smells good too, right? Obviously not, I now see it can cause harm but my question still remains.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:41 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

If it's still running don't worry about it.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:56 PM
r00k
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the dealer was trying to scare you to never try it again. That being said, never do it again, the motor is designed for 93, air cooled and has a history of running kinda hot. I don't really see the benefit running a much hotter fuel while the compression ration has not changed.

Anyway, I would chill out (pun intended?) and just keep listening to the motor if something sounds horribly wrong check it out otherwise I think you're fine.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Xsquid
Cruiser

If I can offer some words on octane I will. I make gas for a living. Running higher octane than whats called for is a waste of your money. Like xxx stated, unless your running a higher compression you don't need it. There is no extra detergents, lubricant, or "special additives" in higher octane gasoline. WHAT YOU REALLY NEED TO WATCH OUT FOR is whats called AVGAS. Or avitaion fuel. Some of that doesn't even have lubricants in it! Some aviation motors have polished almost like chrome cylinder sleeves so they don't require as much lubricant. I've seen people burn up car motors trying to run that in a hopped up ricer. Good thing it didn't happen to an American muscle car, we could afford to loose more ricers. Any ways, simply put, if it calls for 89 or 91 or whatever, run what the manual tells you too.

Oh, one other little thing that most of America doesn't know. What it says on the pump like 89 octane, you are more then likely getting 90. The fines are so heavy for false advertising on a pump that most refiners and gas stations pump over what the advertised rating is. Usually it's .5 over but whenever we ship to our sales department from the refinery its 1 octane rating over advertised.

AND NO... I have nothing to do with gas prices! LOL...

Old 09-09-2008, 10:46 PM
benwiggin2
Road Master

Originally Posted by Xsquid
If I can offer some words on octane I will. I make gas for a living. Running higher octane than whats called for is a waste of your money. Like xxx stated, unless your running a higher compression you don't need it. There is no extra detergents, lubricant, or "special additives" in higher octane gasoline. WHAT YOU REALLY NEED TO WATCH OUT FOR is whats called AVGAS. Or avitaion fuel. Some of that doesn't even have lubricants in it! Some aviation motors have polished almost like chrome cylinder sleeves so they don't require as much lubricant. I've seen people burn up car motors trying to run that in a hopped up ricer. Good thing it didn't happen to an American muscle car, we could afford to loose more ricers. Any ways, simply put, if it calls for 89 or 91 or whatever, run what the manual tells you too.

Oh, one other little thing that most of America doesn't know. What it says on the pump like 89 octane, you are more then likely getting 90. The fines are so heavy for false advertising on a pump that most refiners and gas stations pump over what the advertised rating is. Usually it's .5 over but whenever we ship to our sales department from the refinery its 1 octane rating over advertised.

AND NO... I have nothing to do with gas prices! LOL...
cool, thanks for the info

Old 09-09-2008, 11:46 PM
r00k
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Xsquid always cool to get a little insider info.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:49 PM
Xsquid
Cruiser

No problem. Dont know all there is to know about gas but I know more then usual. I come home smelling like it everyday. LOL...

Old 09-10-2008, 01:19 AM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

If that racing gas had lead in it, that will shorten the life of O2 sensors. Highly doubt a 40 mile ride did much to them though. I am sure your bike is just fine.

Quick Reply: 110 octane???