Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshields

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 09:48 PM
wideglidedan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: windshields

I think I might go with the detachable compact. New quick connect little more than I want to spend.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:41 AM
ladyglide
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: stc13

I installed a quick detach standard windshield today however im unsure of height
if i slouch im lookin thru it ...if i sit completly staight up im over it by 3 inches or so
my question is where should it be? I have never owned a bike with a windshield
I notice on softails and roadkings your lookin thru it
IS A MATTER OF PREFERENCE ? I noticed on highway is was great backroads was a lot more buffeting
feedback appriecated picture enclosed

[IMG]local://upfiles/9083/8F2CDA0C5CC844E496D5F84A8E8DD6FD.jpg[/IMG]
sound good to me, that's how mine is set up, and it works fine. I will say that my husband has a her. softtail, and his is a little taller, [:'(] don't like it, the top of the windsheild is in my line of sight, and when it rains, I get a double-bead effect that I don't like either.
For sure, it's rider preference. IMHO
Judy

[IMG]local://upfiles/5516/829CBE98D8F34ECD958A3D38FA9158AC.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5516/EBD050958E824D759FFAE58FD3A141A1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-27-2006, 08:57 PM
LOWTOW
Road Captain

Has anyone else found that the short pins in the quick clamps (compact detachable) fall out when off the bike? I keep picking them up and pry them out a little...but the still fall out.

Old 03-29-2006, 01:04 AM
sbolt
Advanced

Of the four on my HD quick detach, one abandons ship with some regularity ( upper right). First time it happened, i spent a half an hour in a hardware store looking for that exact diameter rolled pin. Found the same size, as well as a larger size ( pretty smart huh, planning ahead?). Promptly found the original pin under the damn mower. Reinstalled the little bugger. it jumped ship again.Tried the larger diameter unit from the hardware store, too big. Not as smart as I thought. Used a drift to extract and swap one of the other three, it too wanted to bail. Deduced it was overbored, and used clear packing tape once around the pin and reinstalled. Stayed put taking on/off forthe last couple of thousand.

Old 03-29-2006, 12:30 PM
SUPER01
Road Warrior

Sounds like its in the right spot. Mine' s set up the same way. Most people want to look over it.
If your getting buffeting it is probably coming from under the windshield. Try this, if you cruising down a straight road try putting your left arm/hand out across the front of you near your stomach and you will notice less wind in your face. There are some posts on one of the forums about this.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4468/B1261B395FAD4F4790FBDE44FA2F9B4B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-29-2006, 04:27 PM
LOWTOW
Road Captain

So...if understand this right, remove the abnoxious pin (shouldn't be that hard...they fall right out) wrap packaging tape around the bugger and press the condom wrapped bugger back in the hinge....Sounds easy (and safe)....I'll give it a try.

p.s. I tried opening up the gap on the pin to increase the diameter, but it still fell out.

ORIGINAL: sbolt

Of the four on my HD quick detach, one abandons ship with some regularity ( upper right). First time it happened, i spent a half an hour in a hardware store looking for that exact diameter rolled pin. Found the same size, as well as a larger size ( pretty smart huh, planning ahead?). Promptly found the original pin under the damn mower. Reinstalled the little bugger. it jumped ship again.Tried the larger diameter unit from the hardware store, too big. Not as smart as I thought. Used a drift to extract and swap one of the other three, it too wanted to bail. Deduced it was overbored, and used clear packing tape once around the pin and reinstalled. Stayed put taking on/off forthe last couple of thousand.

Old 03-29-2006, 05:52 PM
00glider
Cruiser

I have a detachable sport windshield on my WG, and I generally like it.
For one, no pins to lose.
It uses posts on the forks and takes but a couple of seconds to attach.
You can kind of see it in the pic below.

You can read quite a bit on other posts about wind under the dynas and it's true.
I use the windshield on the highway to keep anything from hitting me where it hurts; nuts, bolts, rain, rocks, hail, bugs, oil, etc.
Wind is just a secondary issue for me.

The only real compaint I have about this one is it doesn't have horizontal support like the RK or touring models do, and so it can build up some visual anomolies I don't like as it become buffeted. It flexes at the top edge a lot at higher speeds.

What do you do then? Sit up straighter above it, or duck lower to hide from stuff when necessary.

There are other posts here on how to cut down a windshield to suit your size and riding style. Take that into consideration.
Simply fitting the windshield to the bike is only part of the answer.

Old 03-29-2006, 06:23 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the quick detach too. As much as I dislike the look of it, I couldn't ride for any length without it. When I first got it, hubby insisted that it be at a height I could see over top of. Usually, at a comfortable riding posture, I look through it. I learned very quickly why it had to be that way. In bad weather, when the rain is so heavy you can't look through it, I can sit up a bit and see over top of it. I have to tell you, that has helped me out of what could be a bad situation a number of times. I can always see OVER it, but not always through it.

Old 03-29-2006, 06:52 PM
sbolt
Advanced

ORIGINAL: LOWTOW

So...if understand this right, remove the abnoxious pin (shouldn't be that hard...they fall right out) wrap packaging tape around the bugger and press the condom wrapped bugger back in the hinge....Sounds easy (and safe)....I'll give it a try.

p.s. I tried opening up the gap on the pin to increase the diameter, but it still fell out.

If you use clear packing tape, no one but you me and the Board will know about it. I almost tried to open up the pin, but stopped when i rembered that this would be cold working the steel ( bad) and that opening it up properly would require heating and quenching, and since I am not a farrier, i took the path of least resistance and went with tape. Good luck.

Old 03-30-2006, 09:54 AM
LOWTOW
Road Captain

Thanks for the tip....I am going to give it a try.

Quick Reply: windshields