Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

st bob or w g?? help

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 07:32 PM
bob37
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default st bob or w g?? help

which is better and what are the diffences? they are both 06 s

Old 09-07-2008, 07:39 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, they are very different indeed. The Wide Glide, has wide front forks, a raked out front end, and, a bob tail fender, and is chromed out. The St. Bob has a narrow glide front end, a typical Dyna rear fender, very little rake, and has very little chrome. Mechanically they are the same. Also, the Wide Glide had forward controls and the st. Bob has mids. So, if you're tall, that may be a consideration.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:59 PM
imjdoggie
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

If your name is Bob its only fitting............

Old 09-07-2008, 08:07 PM
elephantknuckle
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why wouldn't you get a Wide Glide???????

Old 09-07-2008, 08:16 PM
imjdoggie
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

or a Fat Bob??????????

Old 09-07-2008, 08:52 PM
bob37
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are the frames the same? i know the forks are different but what abot the frame/chassis/suspension?

Old 09-07-2008, 09:37 PM
0ut1aw
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WG has been discontinued too

Personally WG is my favorite Dyna

Old 09-07-2008, 10:57 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm guessing the price is also quite different...

Old 09-08-2008, 04:39 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I never cared that much for the ski jump "Bobbed" rear fender featured on the Wide Glide, although a lot of people really dig it (it's featured on many models, including some Sportsters and Softail models).

I guess it originally came from the old-style fender being rotated forward vice just removing the back part at the hinge. I think the first bikes seen with the fender style were 'hill climbers' ... sporting knobby tires.

I think I've seen the expression 'mild chopper' applied to the Wide Glide and Softail Custom models. They have a little longer fork length (+2") and the 'Bobbed' rear fender. Up until '07 they had a low-rise backrest (the Softail Custom has a King and Queen style seat). Typically Wide Glides sport the most chrome of any Dyna model. It's been at the top end of the Dyna line, at least with regards to expense.

The Street Bob is supposed to be a stripped down 'bobber,' although the traditional bobbers are hardtail frames with the fender truncated to about 11:00 on the clock face (as viewed from the right side of the bike). Many of the bobbers sport springer front suspensions although wide glide forks or even some narrow glide are used. Also, Panhead, Shovelhead and Knuckleheads are very popular engine configurations.

The Street Bobs try to capture the spirit of the Bobbers. They have always come from the factory with solo saddle and the blacked out look and flat paint ("Denim") have been the standard.

Personally, my preference is for the Street Bob over the Wide Glide. I like the forward controls, however--which are standard on Wide Glide.

Although most owners drop big bucks on dressing their bikes up with their personal preferences, Wide Glides generally have less 'mods' to do because they are 'fancier' to begin with. But, you're paying significantly less for the Street Bob that you can spend a lot of jack before you approach the price of the Wide Glide (which also means you can 'personalize' it that much more).

Just my $0.02 ... for what it's worth. By the way, I don't have a dog in the fight. I ride a Super Glide (FXDI).

R/
Priest

Last edited by SURFOR Chop; 09-08-2008 at 04:44 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:42 AM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bob37
are the frames the same? i know the forks are different but what abot the frame/chassis/suspension?
The neck on the WG has more angle (rake) then the other dynas. So the frame is different in that area and that area only. Other little things as I am sure you noticed like dash etc are different as well.

Quick Reply: st bob or w g?? help