Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

waterproofs melted on exhaust !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 10:51 AM
gmpm5754
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My question is how to keep my Frogg Toggs from melting on the exhaust. I am on my second pair, 1st pair on my sportster before the trade-in deal, they layed on it and melted, 2nd pair yesterday on my Super-Glide-Custom and I made sure and left the pants leg below my heal before putting on my shoes to make sure they would stay down and I kept looking every so often and everything looked fine until I got home and my pants leg had a hole melted thru and my shield was covered with the melted pants leg. I don't get it. Does anyone else have this problem?
RT

Old 01-15-2009, 11:26 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I think the problem lies in the fact that below the knee the frogg toggs are just too baggy. I bought some velcro and am going to have two straps to secure the loose material around my calf.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:45 AM
HDUK
Tourer

Has anyone bought any slip on waterproofs that don't melt I know Harley make a pair that come with a heat resistant panel on the right leg to protect the legging but does anyone else make these

I have found these they look promising

UK Shop http://www.getgeared.co.uk/HELD_6371...9&category=165

USA Link have a look at the uk shop then find them on the USA link http://www.heldusa.com/

Last edited by HDUK; 09-22-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:37 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I put some duct tape from the knee down on my frogg toggs and haven't had them burn on the pipes yet. I used the black duct tape on my black frogg toggs so it wouldn't look as silly.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:01 AM
spiritwarrior
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good luck if you use the oven cleaner tape off everything around it. The spray will put spots on any paint it gets on. I had nylon melt on my exhaust from a set of Tourmaster pants. I tried heating them up, them wiping with a rag, goo gone, WD 40 and the magic erasers. All I could do was make it a little less blacker. I make a lot of minor scratches on the exhaust while doing it. Boot marks apparently come off a lot easier than nylon. Harley boots I notice don't easily leave marks

Old 09-21-2010, 08:21 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I've used a damp sponge with scour pad (scotch-brite) and some soft scrub. Worked excellent.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's plastic and in a 'glob' I might try freezing it with some ice and see if the bulk of it will just chip off.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:28 AM
rokrawlr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HDUK
Has anyone bought any slip on waterproofs that don't melt I know Harley make a pair that come with a heat resistant panel on the right leg to protect the legging but does anyone else make these
Another option is to look at a set of boot gaiters. They slip on over your boots and pant leg. Most versions of them have a high temp panel on the inner side of the right gaiter. I use HD's set with my low-buck rain gear and haven't burnt them yet.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:21 PM
cestep6
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boot marks on Exhause

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
I've used a damp sponge with scour pad (scotch-brite) and some soft scrub. Worked excellent.
When you used the soft scrub, how long did you let it sit? I tried using some chrome cleaner with a scotch brite and ended up scratching the pipe. Don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Thanks,

Old 01-29-2011, 03:24 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

If its on chrome, just use some fine steel wool when the pipes are cold.

I've seen some people get an ironing board cover, cut it up and fix it on your pants.

Last edited by glideridemike; 01-29-2011 at 03:26 PM.

Quick Reply: waterproofs melted on exhaust !!!