Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna vs Softail... the eternal quest for excellence!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 07:16 AM
Fatbob Pharoe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna vs Softail... the eternal quest for excellence!

As a proud owner of an 08 FatBob, it is useless to say that my judgement would be fair in comparing dyna's to softails. However, i have recently had the chance to take a buddies FatBoy for a spin and was pleseantly surprised ; ) The handling was very well despite the extra weight and cornering was quite smooth too. Another + was the close to none vibration.

So as i started contemplating about my experience i came to a conclusion that it is best to compare these families by asking 4 simple questions:

1. How is the handling and rider comfort on each?
2. Power and torque?
3. Availability of after market products?
and last
4. Pricing?

Your feedback would be highly appreciated.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:27 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

1. Well you already answered #1 in your opinion and that's the most important
2. I believe the power and torque are slightly lower on the Softails due to the counter balanced motor
3. The Softails usually have more after market products for them
4. As for the pricing look on the HD site

Old 09-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Fatbob Pharoe
Advanced

True that i like the handling, but ive only been on a softail once, and for a brief spin, so that doesnt qualify my judgement. I mean ive had my FatBob for a little under a year now, and been through thick and thin with it, so im pretty comfortable with how it handles. And given the excess weight on the softy i thought it would be much harder to hanldle.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:57 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well the Fat Boy only weighs 11 pounds more than your Fat Bob so there isnt enough weight difference to notice betweeen those 2.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:47 AM
caldyna
Novice

I've owned both and I definately prefer the dyna. I had a 94 fatboy and loved it while I had it but, when I was looking for another Harley in 2002 I went into the dealer with another fatboy on my mind and left with a new wideglide and never looked back. The handling for me was far superior in the corners with the dyna. I also don't do well with boards. They get in the way in the twisties. I picked up an 08 Fatbob in May and I just got back from a road trip through Canada with it. I love that bike. It performed great. Anyway, that's my humble opinion between the two. Just ride!

Old 09-07-2008, 10:10 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Comparison

There are at least 10 times the aftermarket parts for the softails over the dynas if not more.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:39 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I like how a softails lines run...looks like an old school hardtail with the simple rear end. They've also got an immense aftermarket. Many companies, like HeartlandUSA make parts exclusively for softails...I find that incredibly frustrating when trying to find parts. But those are the two things I think they may have on Dynas.

Dynas have better power/weight ratios and I find them to be more comfortable and handle better, and they're more affordable. Dyna's are referred to as "rider's bikes" for a reason. I wouldn't trade my Bob for anything.