Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb looking for a place to start on '08 Str Bob

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 07:24 PM
K9pusher
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newb looking for a place to start on '08 Str Bob NOW WITH PICS

What's up all, I've been lurking on this forum for alittle over a year now. I finally was able to attend a MSF BRC and about a week later picked up an '08 Street Bob. Originally I was looking at a Night Train but decided on a Dark Blue Denim SB instead. That decision was based mostly on posts that I read here on HD Forum. I'm waiting about a year for the performance stuff, I'm still in the learning process and don't need anymore power to contend with at the moment.

Sooooooooo, with that being said I'm looking at cheap/no cost options for modication. I've picked up smoked lenses for the signals, laydown plate holder, and scored some highway pegs on Ebay on the cheap.

I'm thinking about pulling the upper and lower belt guards and definitely the reflectors front and rear tomorrow. I'll post up some pics tomorrow, still contending with Hurricane Hannah's crap today. If anyone has any no buck/low buck ideas I'll gladly take them.

There are definitely some badass Dyna's on this forum.

Last edited by K9pusher; 09-07-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:28 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Jackyl's 2" tank lift...$25 plus shipping. I just put it on and think it really adds to the look of the bike. That's his moniker, PM him for more info.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:32 PM
K9pusher
Tourer

Thanks man, I was actually considering that. The stealership is replacing my tank because of a couple of bubbles in the paint. I'm probably gonna get the lift and just wait to install it after the dealer gets the new tank on.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:38 PM
JerseyDevil
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the bike, haven't really seen any denim blue bobs yet, can't wait to see the pics.

Check out the How to for under 50 bucks thread, plenty of great cheap or free ideas there.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Bobber S
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make it BAD *** OLD SKOOL ... FREE!! Remove the following: belt guards, reflectors, tank badges, front fender, battery cover, air filter cover.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:13 PM
K9pusher
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bobber S
Make it BAD *** OLD SKOOL ... FREE!! Remove the following: belt guards, reflectors, tank badges, front fender, battery cover, air filter cover.
Sounds good, I'm ripping the tank badges off as soon as the new tank goes on.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:15 PM
K9pusher
Tourer

Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
Congrats on the bike, haven't really seen any denim blue bobs yet, can't wait to see the pics.

Check out the How to for under 50 bucks thread, plenty of great cheap or free ideas there.
I wasn't a huge fan of the denim blue on some of the 07's I've seen, it was really blue. This blue looks black till your right up on it. I'll get those pics up tomorrow, I'm gonna apologize now for it being dirty. I need to find some time to do the first wash, dealer did a ****ty job at best cleaning it up.

Trending Topics

Old 09-06-2008, 10:23 PM
jbphoto
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for Jackyls 2" tank lift.

Here's a couple of installation hints. After you get it wait until you're ready to get gas before you do the install. It will make the job just a bit easier as you won't have the extra weight to contend with. Also, on my Bob the stock vent hose leading from the tank to the junction at the side of the frame was too short after the lift was installed so I had to use the extra piece of fuel line (which is supposed to be used as a replacement crossover line in some installations) to replace it. Other than that the install was a snap. Great product and exceptionally well made. You'll like the look!! By the way, my sig pic was taken prior to the lift install.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:49 PM
jbphoto
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's another suggestion. If you've got a hundred bucks that's burning a hole in your pocket I'd sure recommend investing in XiEDs from www.nightrider.com. These little puppies change the AFR (air to fuel ratio) from the mandated EPA 14.6:1 to 13.8:1. You'll notice more low and midband power and even the sound of your bike will be better. I've been running these for the past 4000 miles and they DO make a difference... well, at least for me they did. No doubt it was the best HD (hunnert dollar) mod I've done.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:07 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jbphoto
+1 for Jackyls 2" tank lift.

Here's a couple of installation hints. After you get it wait until you're ready to get gas before you do the install. It will make the job just a bit easier as you won't have the extra weight to contend with. Also, on my Bob the stock vent hose leading from the tank to the junction at the side of the frame was too short after the lift was installed so I had to use the extra piece of fuel line (which is supposed to be used as a replacement crossover line in some installations) to replace it. Other than that the install was a snap. Great product and exceptionally well made. You'll like the look!! By the way, my sig pic was taken prior to the lift install.
This post is spot on, 100%.

I had trouble holding the tank up while trying to squeeze the tank lift into its location. And I had the same experience with the vent tube...had to use the longer crossover Jackyl provided to lengthen it. Simple.

K9, another tip for looks...Jackyl provides a bolt and nut for the raised portion of the bracket...replace the stock nut at the base of the tank (under the front of the seat) with the one provided, and move the stock nut to the front end...the capped Harley nuts just look better and it'll give it an even more professional appearance.

My sig pic was also taken prior to install, I keep saying I'll get new pics up and always forget...I did it about 2 weeks ago.

Quick Reply: Newb looking for a place to start on '08 Str Bob