Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The secret to riding a Fatbob

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008 | 06:40 PM
canyonwlf7
|
Cruiser
Default The secret to riding a Fatbob

Pretend there is no 5th or 6th gear! You don't need them, unless u hit 65 or better, then shift into 5th and only then, otherwise you are out of the power band and in to the vibration. I ride mostly country/secondary roads, sometimes highway, 1-4 works just fine, shift into 5th at 65, there ya go........................................

Old 09-05-2008 | 08:23 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

A waste of gas when cruising at a constant speed.

Old 09-05-2008 | 09:01 PM
canyonwlf7
|
Cruiser

Yes, I ride a motorcycle for recreation because I'm concerned with saving gas.

Old 09-05-2008 | 09:52 PM
FATBOB67
Road Captain

Originally Posted by canyonwlf7
Very well put!

Old 09-05-2008 | 10:44 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

Point being what? It isn't doing anything for you. Accelerating? Sure. Cruising at a constant speed? Nothing beneficial.

Old 09-05-2008 | 11:40 PM
benwiggin2
Road Master

What?!
1) How is there any secret to riding a Fat Bob? What makes it different motor wise to any other non tourer?
2)Did YOU just figure out how to ride period?
3)I'm thinking (other than the ridiculous thread on shift points) that 99% (you being the other 1%) of people on the forum know how to ride their machines most effectively, and efficiently.

Old 09-06-2008 | 12:21 AM
eazyride
Cruiser

Pretend there is no 5th or 6th gear! You don't need them, unless u hit 65 or better, then shift into 5th and only then, otherwise you are out of the power band and in to the vibration. I ride mostly country/secondary roads, sometimes highway, 1-4 works just fine, shift into 5th at 65, there ya go........................................
still have no idea y u call it a secret to ride a fatbob. I think using 5th gear at 55-60mph is still just or ok, i mostly ride 55-60 and 4th gear at 60 is quite intense or high rpm. lower rpm means less fuel you burn. I shift down only when overtaking or just to drag for the fun of it.

if u ride to work, that makes it even more economical (less fuel burnt) than driving a car.

Old 09-06-2008 | 09:10 AM
canyonwlf7
|
Cruiser

well, when I first got the Bob, and being new to Harley, I had trouble sometimes figuring out what gear to be in. (because of the way the Harley vibrates). And that thread about shift points seems to confirm some people don't get it. I do sometimes shift into fifth at 60 or so when I'm riding at a constant speed as well. And yes I just figured out how to ride period, whats wrong man, u on your period.

Old 09-06-2008 | 10:12 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

I hit 80 mph in 3rd sometimes, but I don't suggest to people that they cruise down the interstate at 80 mph in 3rd. You're not only using more fuel but running the engine hotter and putting more strain on the engine. It is simply irresponsible to tell people to cruise at 60 mph in 4th. Shift at 60 mph into 5th while accelerating? Sure, but don't cruise at 60 mph like that.

Old 09-06-2008 | 11:16 AM
kudzu35
Road Master

Its recommended to shift at certain speeds because of RPMs and keeping your engine running well. I would imagine if you ran a four cylinder engine at a high speed but in low gear you'd do some serious damage over long time. Same thing with your MoCo engine buddy, keep running at high speeds in low gear and you'll experience a laughing at you sensation when you take it into the shop. Why? Cause when you tell them that you thought you didn't need to shift it into 5th gear at 45 or 50 or even 60... they're going to have a field day on your bill.

Read the owners manual anyone? Just saying...

Quick Reply: The secret to riding a Fatbob