Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift points in a Dyna 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011 | 01:11 AM
livindadream
Cruiser

6th gear at 70mph

Old 04-17-2011 | 02:30 AM
thealaskan
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FatBobRay
A few days ago i made mention I was shifting into 6th around 50 to 55 MPH and many members replied saying I was shifting into 6th way too soon. Most said they didn't shift into 6th until they were driving past 65 and several members said they didn't shift into 6th until they were past 75MPH.

Well let me just say I respect your opinions ... you know your bikes and the Dyna is brand new to me. But since I got varied opinions I decided to check the owner's manual.

The suggested up-shift speeds in the owners manual for the dyna 6 speed are

First to second 15 MPH
Second to third 25 MPH
Third to forth - 35 MPH
Forth to fifth - 45 MPH
fifth to sixth - 55 MPH

I'm sure shifting after 55 is fine but apparently I wasn't shifting too soon according to the book. It didn't feel to me that I was lugging down the motor by "short shifting" at 55 MPH. ........ Guess i wasn't!
Bone stock about 5500 rpm in each gear, but you won't meet God until you get to stage IV.

Old 04-17-2011 | 04:41 AM
==ShaDoW==
Road Captain

I dont know about the other rides but on my 2010 WG, you can feel it if your in the wrong gear, (you get a vibration going through the bike) this and where I am riding dictates the change point ( accelerating on a hill, passing, etc) I am a firm believer in letting the bike tell you when to shift, now weather I have the right shift points is up for debate, but I haven't had any issues yet, I also cruise in 6th a lot to save fuel as sometimes out here its a long way between fuel stops, thats my 02 cents,

Old 04-17-2011 | 06:09 AM
Deftone5
Advanced

I totally agree the speeds in the manual seem on the low side. I was concerned because my '11 Fat Bob is still in the break in period and shifting by sound and feel had me shifting way later than the manual. Glad to hear others think they are low as well. Do you think this is an exception for the break in period?

Years ago an really experienced old rider told me that most people shift too soon. I taught myself to wait a second longer before shifting until I really got everything out of a gear and I found my acceleration and bike performance really did improve. Of course with my Ducati I learned to shift without even using the clutch lever and that makes it even smoother if done right.

I've never used a tachometer, seems dangerous to me to be looking down at the tach while accelerating.....

Old 04-17-2011 | 07:05 AM
jojo2dog
Road Captain

after you get used to the bike you will shift by sound you won"t look at the speedo or tac .some of the roads i cruise on out in the country.2 lanes mostly. i use 6th gear at 50 to 65 mph been rideing since 1957 only motors ive ever blown up were at there top limit not from being lugged

Old 04-17-2011 | 07:15 AM
2011Deluxe
Banned

Anything lower than 65 is lugging (imho)

Old 04-17-2011 | 07:41 AM
JBoggs
Cruiser

Haven't rode a stock 96er but on my Bike, no way these are close. With the cam she likes RPM's, and lugs a lot a with lower numbers. It has a great power band so I keep the bike at the lower part of it, where it really starts to make power.

Old 04-17-2011 | 08:23 AM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by thegrants82
Anything lower than 65 is lugging (imho)
+1 on this

Old 04-17-2011 | 08:31 AM
crazyanimal
Road Captain

I don't shift mine at 55 mph either. Mine is new and I am just getting to know it as well and I only have 300km on it. I was out for a short run yesterday and never hit 6th at all, for one it was too damn cold and for another it would be lugging like crazy. The manual has many good things to read but gearing is one thing I don't go by. I find it the same with a manual transmission in a car, the manual always tells you to shift too soon.

Old 04-17-2011 | 08:50 AM
smokinfromshootin
Tourer

Originally Posted by ayebyte
Glad to see you checked your manual, however, Heres what works best for me:
First to second 15 MPH
Second to third 25 MPH
Third to forth - 35-40 MPH
Forth to fifth - 50 MPH
fifth to sixth - 60-65 MPH
Remember that lawyers are involved with writing the manual and they know that the speed limit in many places are 65mph tops. So, to cover their asses, they aren't going to tell you to shift into sixth at or above the speed limit.
+1 here.

Quick Reply: Shift points in a Dyna 6 speed