Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gas tank swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:15 PM
moonsfmc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas tank swap

i was wanting to know if a 61586-04a which is a wide glide tank work on a 2006 streetbob.thanks

Old 08-26-2008, 08:30 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

sure will... your gonna need a new dash...idiot lights...starter switch...
hopefully the gas tank internals are the same(fuel pump etc...)
also to complete the look you need a new speedo...
the wide glide tank is also on the 07-09 superglide custom and the fatbob..
If you buy new you can get the part # from a fatbob or other that has your matching paint and it will be all set to go from the factory.
I think black cherry was available on the 07 superglide custom as well. It probably has pinstriping though.

Last edited by rounder; 08-26-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:36 PM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well - in the past I was always under the assumption that 04-05 tanks were different than 06+ tanks. The fenders are different for sure, but I believe that tank mounts are the same.
If the tank does mount up, you will not be able to use any of your St Bob dash hardware.
You need to replace a bunch of stuff: top plate, plate gasket, SPEEDOMETER, dash, idiot light harness. Need to add an ignition switch, etc.
I don't think the work is difficult, but even if you get a good deal on the tank, you still have a bunch of $ to spend - new parts are going to run you between $400-500.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:49 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by glide05
Well - in the past I was always under the assumption that 04-05 tanks were different than 06+ tanks.
i used to think so as well but if you look up part # for the 06+ the tanks come up with an 04 designation...
I found this on zanottis when I looked up price for their 04-05 lowrider tank and in the description was fxdl,fxdb...
Zanotti's lists that part # as for fxd35 and fxdw...primed (fxd35 is an 07 superglide custom)

seems they changed in 04 when they added fuel injection to the mix.
BTW did you ever get your tank swap completed? get the parts to work together?

Last edited by rounder; 08-26-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:16 PM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rounder
i used to think so as well but if you look up part # for the 06+ the tanks come up with an 04 designation...
I found this on zanottis when I looked up price for their 04-05 lowrider tank and in the description was fxdl,fxdb...
Zanotti's lists that part # as for fxd35 and fxdw...primed (fxd35 is an 07 superglide custom)

seems they changed in 04 when they added fuel injection to the mix.
BTW did you ever get your tank swap completed? get the parts to work together?
No - the St Bob dash did not work on the WG tank - contour was not right and it seemed a bit short as well - it was close - but not close enough. That was a big setback from a parts standpoint, and pretty much made my tank swap a winter project as I need to dig up almost all of the parts i mentioned above. Probably try to find an ebay speedo - the other stuff will be new.

Got some good advice from you and "dyna rider" who has also been extremely helpful with part numbers - just need to find time to call Zanottis and order everything. Riding weather perfect here in the NE, long cold winter around the corner - it can wait.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:30 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by glide05
No - the St Bob dash did not work on the WG tank - contour was not right and it seemed a bit short as well - it was close - but not close enough. That was a big setback from a parts standpoint, and pretty much made my tank swap a winter project as I need to dig up almost all of the parts i mentioned above. Probably try to find an ebay speedo - the other stuff will be new.

Got some good advice from you and "dyna rider" who has also been extremely helpful with part numbers - just need to find time to call Zanottis and order everything. Riding weather perfect here in the NE, long cold winter around the corner - it can wait.
yeah wait to winter...here in Florida I have decided to designate it as summer mods cause this time of year is the worst riding down here...