Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Dyna Tuning Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 08:32 PM
kennyb
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Dyna Tuning Problems

I have a 06 Low Rider that I have put a1550 Stage 2 kit on. I have a sert and have downloaded the program 141nw002 which is an mt6 file made esspecially for my setup. It runs real strong compared to stock but it backfires and pops on decel. Ijust brought it to the dealer and am getting the 25 degree injectors put on. When the mechanic saw that I had red Screaming Eagle wires on the bike, he said that I needed the stock wires or Iwould get error codes. Is this true? I only bought the better wires because red looks better, but it really tics me off that the system would be so finnicky. I have spent a lot of time and money to get this bike to run like Ithink it should have in the first place. Why does there have to be sooo many sharp turns down the path of getting a 06 dyna to perform well? Should I wait awhile to do more? I feel like an experiment. I would greatly appreciate any input on this, and would also be glad to share my experience and info with anyone who might want it.

Thanx

Old 03-21-2006, 08:38 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 06 Dyna Tuning Problems

im in your same boat i bought my dyna on looks i guess thats why they say dont judge a book by its cover the efi is horrable. if i could do it over i would go with the softtail delux they still have carbs.i hope the 25 degree injectors work mines going in tomorrow

Old 03-21-2006, 08:41 PM
JonHanna
Road Master

damn I haven't heard that about the wires yet. I was gonna pick some up tomorrow. Maybe I can get a good answer from my dealer.

Old 03-21-2006, 09:11 PM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't blame the bikes, blame the EPA! Carb'd bikes are no better. The last 3 new carb bikes I've bought were all but undrivable from the factory. You have to get intimate with Kehihn CVK's or Mikuni's these days end of story. You have to get around the needles with little or no taper (for emissions), and work around that with larger main jets to compensate. Another nightmare of a different kind and a compromised curve from top to bottom. Factory pro jet kits are pricey because they do this for you. No different with the EFI stuff. Gettin' familiar with EFI and closed loop systems is just another technology we all have to grasp since it 'aint going away and will get worse as time goes on. The techlusion TFI works fine. I set it up in 30 minutes and it eliminated all of the lean conditions and fixed my complaints. Now, I'm trying out the SERT more to understand what these newer systems are up to and how to fix them. Gotta learn it sooner or later, right? So in the end, we can collectively b!tch and moan or do something about it. I prefer the latter.

But there is some good news. HDMAPS.com has their 06 dyna stage one map for Screamin eagle exhaust ready to go and it should be posted tommorrow on their website. They might also have the 1550 so e-mail or call Matt and ask. Since they tech the Dephi systems, I'm confident their map is good. With so many parameters to tune, this would make a great base map jump off point for home tweeking. Most likely, it would work wonders with no editing at all. Problem solved.

Sorry for the rant ......but we can get this. Just stick with it!!

Old 03-21-2006, 09:28 PM
kennyb
Novice

Hey , don't get me wrong. Ilove the EFI and the bike pulls real strong. It's just that the info pool out there is scary. The Harley tech line said that the constants table value for the new injectors did not change on the sert program. Later I find that the value does change from 3.91 to 4.89 grms./ sec. That's a fairly big change. Misinformation like this cannot only damage the bike. but it costs me uneccesary time and money.

Old 03-21-2006, 09:43 PM
grizzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the factory d/l for my 06, when I got the SE slip ons, and SE highflow a/c. Come to find out the d/l was ojly forthe A/C with stock exhaust??? That still makes no sense to me by the way......anyhow, I put the stock a/c back on and kept the slip ons. Seems to be running fine now. I am heading off to Iraq in July for 7 months. Maybe when I get back, there will be some progress on the whole set up. I will wait and see. For now though the biek is running well. Fl is right........just need some patience.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:05 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its not the epa its harley they voulenterd to do this o2 senser crap for the epa. nothing was broke before if it aint broke dont fix it. i bought the first one out of the crate and has been in the shop over and over and its still stock i didnt buy a 14,000 dollar bike to put it in a shop have patience my *** i want to ride the f ing thing you call a harley

Old 03-21-2006, 11:47 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

If you did a stage 2 you should have the bike dyno tuned. The 25 degree injectors are probably going to help but changing the wires can effect the ignition and efi system because it's a closed loop system and it is very precise. If you go buy a new Chevy and pull off the exhaust and put on non specific ignition parts you will end up with the same type of problems. Welcome to the high technology age of electronics. BTW, I just did a complete tune up on my 2002 Chevy Suburban......irridium plugs and new wires that's it and it will last 75-100,000 miles and took 45 minutes. Electronics are here to stay.......carbs are gone forever.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:47 PM
The Punisher
Banned

DYNABOB,

You must have gotten a bad bike bro, I have a Street Bob with the Stage 1 A/C, Download and SE Slip ons and my bike runs great haven't had a single problem and no complaints about the performance.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:50 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: DyNaBoB

its not the epa its harley they voulenterd to do this o2 senser crap for the epa. nothing was broke before if it aint broke dont fix it. i bought the first one out of the crate and has been in the shop over and over and its still stock i didnt buy a 14,000 dollar bike to put it in a shop have patience my *** i want to ride the f ing thing you call a harley
DyNaBOB: You should trade your Harley in on a Metric bike. I would if I was that pissed off. MY Dyna runs great completely stock and only pops when it below 45 degrees out and not very frequently. Get a Victory or a Boulevard that are water cooled and you wont have these issues.

Quick Reply: 06 Dyna Tuning Problems