Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Rider Suspension Comfort?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 07:09 PM
Roses
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low Rider Suspension Comfort?

This is for anyone who may have riden or owned an FXDL and an FXD. Is that slammed suspension on the low rider a bit stiffer? Are city riding "bumps" a bit too sharp on the FXDL as compared to the FXD? I am 53 and debating the choice and demo rides are not long enough to make the determination. At my age I am worried that a stiffer suspension will not be kind to my old back. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:51 AM
Roses
Road Captain

Boy, tough crowd tonight.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:36 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 249 Likes on 166 Posts

You can install the Harley Davidson Low Profile Touring shocks for a smoother ride. There are also aftermarket air shocks that are available that have two adjustments, one for height and one for firmness.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:43 AM
Swamp Tiger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride an '07 Low Rider and '05 Road King, using the Low Rider for rides of two hours duration or less. The Low Rider is a fun ride and never have found comfort to be an issue on my 53 year-old body. Although I ride the Road King for the all-day rides and trips, I would not hesitate a second to ride the Low Rider on a road trip if, for some reason, my Road King was out of commission.

The touring bike has more cargo capacity, suspension and weight to add riding comfort, and floorboards that reduce leg fatigue on the long trips. However, I enjoy the handling and acceleration of a smaller-framed bike like the Low Rider for rides within 150 miles from home.

Anyway, I would not let your age deter your getting a Low Rider.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:23 AM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master

Since we're about the same age, I can tell you lowering makes a definite difference. You may want to reconsider. I'm thinking about raising mine back up AND getting some Progressives as well.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:27 AM
mart73
Intermediate

My riding buddies have Road Kings. They tried to talk me into buying one this past spring but I went with the Low Rider instead. My riding is mostly a 50 mile round trip to work and weekend jaunts with my buddies in their Road Kings. Very long trips for me will be rare.

I love the Low Rider for my type of riding. I have no trouble staying on it all day on our Sat./Sun trips. My 53 year old back is ok but I did change the seat. The seat change was for my wife more than me. I have a small set of saddle bags I use which is enough room for going out all day. Swamp Tiger's comment about the smaller frame and the accleration couldn't be more true. I love the torque this bike has. Even two up that motor just keeps wanting to pull. Love it.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:05 AM
Starboard
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do 250 to 300 miles nearly every other weekend and I haven't had any back problems related to the suspension, which is stock. It has a very smooth ride and short (under 50) rides are great. However, my butt kills me after the long rides due to the stock seat. I thought after 4000 miles, I would get used to it. I suggest that you (and I) plan on forking over some dough for a new seat.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Roses
Road Captain

Thanks for the replies. You guys are a big help.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:11 PM
ksscooter
Cruiser
Thumbs up My experience

I've got a FXDL that I lowered an additional 1" with shorter Progressive adjustable shocks and one of their front end kits and installed a Superbrace fork brace. It rides fine and I am almost 60. A couple years ago I tried riding straight home from Rapid City SD. I left about 5:30AM and gave up in a blinding rain storm in north central Kansas about 9:00 PM. I was plenty tired but no ill effects from a long day in the saddle. The bike was a gas to ride through the Rockies on that trip.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:20 PM
deadeye1340?
Cruiser

Don't let a Low Rider scare you...I just sold a 1998 FXDL, cause my wife wasn't riding it enough. But I can tell ya I hated to see it go. It's a good bike and a nice ride, even up against the 01 Road Glide I still have. Any motorcycle suspension sucks after you slam it in the weeds, but if you get a FXDL just leave the stock suspension on it and you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: Low Rider Suspension Comfort?