Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

want a cheap battery tender?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 06:12 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default want a cheap battery tender?

here is how you do it and it is super easy!
hit up harbor freight! i got the tender they sell
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42292
then all you have to do is, cut off the alligator clips, solder on some wire conectors so you can put it on the battery terminals (the loop wire conector things) then go to radio shack and get these
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family
(one male and one female)
solder them on, hook on the loops your your battery and then when you get home on the bike JUST PLUG IT IN! that is all
complete battery tender for under 10 bucks!
i have this on the chop, the bob, and yep even my old honda... works great!

Old 08-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Harley43147
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe, you're a genius. Thanks for the tip!!!!!!

Old 08-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Dynamite17
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree that there are many cheaper alternatives, the Harbor Freight product is $15 shipped with no warranty.

A Battery Tender Jr. ($39 list, found lower locally) is a much better product. The LEDs tell you several charge conditions (80% charged is red & green, less than 80& is red, full charge/maintain is green, fault is blinking red. If the battery gets overcharged it shuts off, if there is a short, it shuts off. It comes with several different connectors (including the lugs and clips).

It also has full output at less than 120v (down to 90) and has a 10 year warranty.

I maintain 5 batteries for car, boat, MC, tractor and 4-wheeler over the winter and I have used Battery Tender products for many years and they are totally reliable and very well built.

I have a hard time justifying going cheap (saving $20 maybe) for an unknown brand product. Additonally, Harley and BMW recommends Battery Tender products (FWIW) LINK

I would suggest really investigating before going cheap on such an important piece of equipment.

B

Old 08-22-2008, 10:52 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i would not say unknown... i have 6 of them... 4 on the bikes, 1 on my jet ski, 1 on my boat battery... never had a problem... 3 of them i have had for over 4 years... my dad has 3 2 on his boats 1 on the bike and my brother has 1 on the bike... that is 8 of these chargers... none of us have had an issue...i do hwever know where you are coming from... but they work great... all it has to do is regulate a trickle charge... it has an LED light that turns on to let you know it is charging

Old 08-22-2008, 12:07 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default I posted this in addition to

I posted this in addition to the same above information on this forum many months ago. This is in addition to using any battery tender. It is for free, I do not make money on it, do what you like. I use it on all 5 of my bikes but do spend considerable time next to them, one way or another. LINK To DIY Making a Battery Tender….Give Your Tired Bike a Jolt! PDF Download

Old 08-22-2008, 12:11 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

HF AUTOMATIC BATTERY FLOAT CHARGER http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42292
It cost me $4.99 I think, on sale. What difference is there in HD Chinese's made products to these except price. Both work.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:20 PM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is probably OK if there is a Harbor Freight local.
As mentioned - this unit is $16 shipped to me + the Radio shack parts, plus soldering, plus .....

Wally World sells a 1.5A tender/float charger made by Schummacher. It's under $19 and comes with everything you need, pigtails, clips, etc. In comparison tests - it's proven to be better than the BatteryTenderPlus - which retails for $60.

Not meaning to discount JRKs post - but the Schummacher is plug n play, and it's a top notch unit for little $ (even does 6V batteries).

Old 08-22-2008, 01:28 PM
ConnMan
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Duracell also makes a nice 2A unit that comes with three harnesses. Under $20 at Target. I've got two of 'em going full time. Green light for "power to unit", red light for "charging". Shuts off when fully charged, cliicks right back on when needed. Great product.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:54 PM
benwiggin2
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will I ever need a tender if I ride at least once a week?

Old 08-22-2008, 04:58 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Battery Charger

After a couple of years, your battery needs help. A floating trickle charger is the answer. You going to ride all winter too ?

Quick Reply: want a cheap battery tender?