Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Rolltide11
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy

Hey yall i'm fresh off a MSF course and getting my license. Aside from a few dirt bikes I had never been on a bike before till the course started a few days ago. I loved the course and I feel so confident on a bike now, the only thing I'm missing in an actual bike. I gotta have a Harley and from walking around the dealership I really took notice to the super glide custom. I'm not a big guy (5'9 about 160) so it didn't intimidate me like some of the other bikes so just thought I would get everybody's thoughts on a 19 year old beginner jumping on a FXDC and please be as honest as you feel.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:18 PM
doublenaughtspy
Tourer

Honestly, I don't see much of a problem at all except for when/if you drop it. You might want to consider a used standard bike as a first bike - something like a Suzuki SV 650 or some type of japanese cruiser, at least for the first 6 months or so. It'll allow you to build your confidence (life is a little different when you're actually out on the street as opposed to a controlled environment) and if you drop it, it won't cost as much to repair. After you gain some street experience then go for the Harley. If you don't care that you might drop it and have some costly repairs on a costly bike, then go for it. Personally, I'd start on something a little cheaper and then get the harley........

Old 08-17-2008, 06:28 PM
tjmac49
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy the bike you want and fits you the best. You WILL drop your scoot - we all have or will. Best of luck in deciding, Rolltide11!

Old 08-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Teagan
Tourer

I was in the same boat as you and I went with the FXDC. I seems to be a great starter bike if you want a big twin. It's great for riding around town but after my first road trip I was wishing I went with a Street Glide....

Old 08-17-2008, 07:26 PM
freebyrd
Road Master

You WILL drop your scoot -
--------------------------------
no truer words i'm on the mend right now from dropping my 07 streetbob,

and i'm 44, funny thing when i was your age i had a honda 750 supersport and dumped that bitch pretty bad too
so its gonna happen i don't have a lot of scaring or broken bones from my dances with the asphalt cause mostly i was dressed right make sure you are too, leather is your friend

Old 08-17-2008, 07:29 PM
BuffaloRider
Road Master

Get the bike you want.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member

Rent some different bikes to see which you like the best.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:38 PM
CUTiger
6th Gear

I'm in this boat with ya except I'm almost 22 and 6'1", the only experience I have on anything other then a dirtbike was this one time around the block on a sportster 883 several years ago. The Dyna's seem like they would be a good starter bike and are also what I'm looking at getting. I figure I'd rather ride a harley and risk laying it down then buy some jap bike I didn't want and regret it later.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:48 PM
bastardsuns
Cruiser

i was in the same canoe as well fella, i had never ridden anything but a mountainbike before3 months ago, so went to a dealership to buy a nightster , but ended up with a klr650 dropped twice the first day, thinking it would be easier to learn to ride out in the mountains , make that muddy mountains, but i seemed to really take a liking to it , so after 4000 miles, i went back to the dealership to buy a rear tire and walked outta the dealership three days later with a black denim fatbob, and now im a harley man for life, 2000 miles on my stump puller, and friggin lovin it

Old 08-17-2008, 08:29 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to the forums "new guy". I think that if you're considering a Harley at 19, then you're ahead of your years....I think it's awesome.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: New guy