Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Every Time I Look at the Chrome Derby Cover...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008 | 07:43 PM
rockon
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
Just the derby for now. I may do the points cover but probably not the tranny one. I'm just happy I don't have to look at that stained *** aluminum cover anymore. After I took it off I tried to polish it with Mothers mag and aluminum polish, Mothers Billet polish and simichrome. Those damn water spots were hard as hell to get out and the cover was left looking dull.
Yeah, that thing's pretty godawful to look at. For the couple of shiny chrome pieces on the FXDB, you'd think they'd have at least done that piece right if they weren't going to wrinkle coat it.

Old 10-05-2008 | 08:37 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...Picture024.jpg

Just did the blackfin on mine, horn cover on order.

Last edited by mud; 01-22-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-05-2008 | 09:06 PM
harper764
Banned

Originally Posted by rockon
The part is about $30...would powdercoating be cheaper than that?
spend the 8 bucks and get the harley wrinkle black. did my air cleaner, horn cover, and derby cover in about 2 hours then let it dry overnight...looks just as good as stock NT stuff

Old 10-05-2008 | 09:37 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

Did you also do your fork lowers with that wrinkle black paint harper764?
It looks good but it seems shinier than the stock parts in your pics.

Old 10-05-2008 | 10:48 PM
sickwithit
Road Captain

I also did my horn and derby cover my self with a 8 doller can of wrinkle black paint. Look just like the night train part.

Old 10-05-2008 | 11:18 PM
rockon
|
Outstanding HDF Member

sickwithit, I guess you did your belt guard at the same time? looks really good.

Old 10-05-2008 | 11:25 PM
sickwithit
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rockon
sickwithit, I guess you did your belt guard at the same time? looks really good.
Thanks Bro, the belt guard came stock that way on the 06&07 Bobs. They changed it in 08. If you decide to rattle can you part, just take your time preping the parts. And try to do light even coats.

Old 10-05-2008 | 11:26 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

The derby cover gets pretty hot, do you have any problems with the wrinkle paint from the heat?

Also, I don't know why HD decided to quit putting the wrinkle black belt guards on and went with the chrome in 08. It's like each year they keep removing black parts from the bike. Weird.

Old 10-05-2008 | 11:37 PM
sickwithit
Road Captain

The derby cover gets pretty hot, do you have any problems with the wrinkle paint from the heat?

Also, I don't know why HD decided to quit putting the wrinkle black belt guards on and went with the chrome in 08. It's like each year they keep removing black parts from the bike. Weird.
No problems at all with the heat. When I was painting it I actually put it in toster oven for a few seconds to speed up the drying. To prep them I had the part sand blasted so that the paint would stick. Both the horn and the derby cover came out great.

Old 10-06-2008 | 07:37 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

very weird... indeed. i had to go to eBay to get the wrinkle belt guard. and the dealer for the wrinkle black horn cover (night train). i cant wait to see the 2010 street bob... i'm thinking we will see more silver motor and more chrome, judging by the way the street bob has progressed (but i will hope for the best).

Quick Reply: Every Time I Look at the Chrome Derby Cover...