Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Every Time I Look at the Chrome Derby Cover...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008 | 11:10 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

i doubt it... then you have to figure in the "down time" that the part will be at the coater and you wont be able to ride. if it were me 30 bucks is nothing compaired to being down a few day (at best) and a week or two (normally)

Old 08-14-2008 | 02:15 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member

Joe those are some Bad A$$ covers, Never seen anything like it around here. Wished I had access to a CNC machine

Old 08-14-2008 | 03:43 PM
rockon
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey JRK5892, that derby is shweet! I want one.

Old 08-14-2008 | 04:46 PM
powdercoater
Road Captain

If you can get it for $30 you may be better off going that route but it couldn't hurt to call your local powder coater to see.

Old 08-14-2008 | 05:31 PM
DoubleU
Cruiser

I think I paid about $25 or $30 for mine (black one with the milled fins). Plus like 5 to 7 bucks for the new gasket. If you coat your current one, you shouldn't need a new gasket.

Dub

Old 08-14-2008 | 06:25 PM
JRK5892
Banned

thanks for the props guys... they grab attention all over the place!

Old 08-15-2008 | 10:21 AM
coastrider
Road Master

Another option would be to prep any shiny parts with POR 15 cleaner and metal etch, and get a rattle can of wrinkle black from you dealer. I have done that with several parts and you can't tell the difference.

Ride Safe.

Old 10-05-2008 | 07:17 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

Hey Rockon did you ever get that derby cover off a Night Train? I got the black finned derby this weekend for $38.99 and the stock Night Train one was about $32.99. That damn stock polished aluminum one got stained on mine from water or something and I replaced it so I wouldn't have to bother with it anymore. I like it.

An added bonus is this cover doesn't get as hot as the stock one did. Maybe it's cause of the pancake gasket (instead of the stock ring style) blocking the hot fluid from hitting the cover or maybe it's the fins. I don't know which it is but when my leg is against it at a stoplight it doesn't burn my leg through my jeans anymore.

Last edited by PigInaBlanket; 10-05-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-05-2008 | 07:32 PM
rockon
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
Hey Rockon did you ever get that derby cover off a Night Train? I got the black finned derby this weekend for $38.99 and the stock Night Train one was about $32.99. That damn stock polished aluminum one got stained on mine from water or something and I replaced it so I wouldn't have to bother with it anymore. I like it.

An added bonus is this cover doesn't get as hot as the stock one did. Maybe it's cause of the pancake gasket (instead of the stock ring style) blocking the hot fluid from hitting the cover or maybe it's the fins. I don't know which it is but when my leg is against it at a stoplight it doesn't burn my leg through my jeans anymore.
Nah, hadn't gotten to it yet (i.e. lazy).Yours looks really good man. I've considered it along with the Night Train derby...just not sure the finned one wouldn't look good unless I did some of the other parts that way as well. Did you change out the tranny end cover or the timer cover too, or just the derby?

Old 10-05-2008 | 07:36 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

Just the derby for now. I may do the points cover but probably not the tranny one. I'm just happy I don't have to look at that stained *** aluminum cover anymore. After I took it off I tried to polish it with Mothers mag and aluminum polish, Mothers Billet polish and simichrome. Those damn water spots were hard as hell to get out and the cover was left looking dull.

Quick Reply: Every Time I Look at the Chrome Derby Cover...