Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The new Street Bob handle bars........

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 07:07 PM
justguth
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy The new Street Bob handle bars........

I went today to take a look at the new Street Bob and was disappointed in one of my findings. Don’t get me wrong, I love the bike but I’m just not a fan on the mini apes that it comes with. I have owned several street bikes but I am fairly new to the cruiser scene. I will be making my purchase in Iraq while I’m deployed and want to clarify something first.

The thing I will be changing first is the handle bars, but today when I looked at the set up I found that the risers are permanently connected to the triple tree. There is no option to be able to remove them and put longer risers on if you wanted to. I want to put on some short beach bars or maybe even drag bars but how will this be possible when the risers won’t come off? I talked to parts and they told me that my choices are very limited. I even looked under the tree and there are no bolts.

Am I just an idiot or can someone explain to me if I'm wrong? I can’t believe Harley would do that and restrict the options you to customize their motorcycles. I may just have to look at a different model because I can’t stand the apes…..

Last edited by justguth; 08-12-2008 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:18 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well that is sad.I'm restricted too! the only thing I would do to my Fatbob would be to get longer risers,I need about an extra inch to get relaxed , but because of the thick riser cradle nothing fits,I'm on my own.

PS Thank you for standing up for our freedom over there.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:06 PM
justguth
Cruiser

Originally Posted by maddghost
Well that is sad.I'm restricted too! the only thing I would do to my Fatbob would be to get longer risers,I need about an extra inch to get relaxed , but because of the thick riser cradle nothing fits,I'm on my own.

PS Thank you for standing up for our freedom over there.
Its an honor.........

Is there any way to get around this without spending a fortune?

Old 08-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts

They did this to the Street Bob in 08. If you can't find bars that will work for you in the stock riser position, your only option is to swap out the triple trees, at least the top one.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:27 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Changing the bars was the first thing I was going to do, until I rode it for a while. I thought the bars were going to be uncomfortable and I could not have been more wrong. If I were you I would ride it until the 1000 mi service is due and then If you don't like them change them out, I doubt you will.
CB

Old 08-12-2008, 09:08 PM
justguth
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
Changing the bars was the first thing I was going to do, until I rode it for a while. I thought the bars were going to be uncomfortable and I could not have been more wrong. If I were you I would ride it until the 1000 mi service is due and then If you don't like them change them out, I doubt you will.
CB
I really don't doubt that they are comfortable. Its just the look that I don't like. Is replacing the triple tree an expensive replacement?

Old 08-12-2008, 09:37 PM
sycle1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Top triple tree with provision for risers to suit 08 Streetbob $408.00 from Chicago Harley

Old 08-12-2008, 10:30 PM
1nuckenfut
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just get the Super Glide. Already has lower bars. Anyhow, a set of dog bone risers on the Street Bob will get you were you want to be or change the top tree.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:53 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

that is not that they restricted you... MOCO made it so now you have to buy somehting else to just change the bars... lame!

Old 08-12-2008, 11:18 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Beach bars might be a little goofy on a SB. I think you should consider a set of bars off a Supper Glide or Low Rider.

Something with a modest rise on standard short risers would have the same effect as drag bars on tall risers.

Quick Reply: The new Street Bob handle bars........