Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike runs fine without fuel pak ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 11:01 AM
lhcstreetbob
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bike runs fine without fuel pak ?

i took my fuel pak off b/c im getting a power commander and i noticed to that it started right up (fuel pak sometimes took 2 0r 3 times) and when i rode it home it didnt back fire or pop once whats up with that?

Old 08-11-2008, 12:11 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Are you sure you programmed correctly for your bike? I just installed my FuelPak last week and the difference is quite noticeable as far as decal pop and sound. No problems at all starting, a quick hit on the switch and it fires right up.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:07 PM
lhcstreetbob
Road Captain

i followed the directions sometimes it almost acted like it was flooded i already sold it so i could get the power commander so we will see how that goes thanks

Old 08-11-2008, 01:46 PM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

well i have read, again, in american iron mag that the O2 sensors should compensate enough for pipes and higher air flow. but they also said that it should work untill they find out otherwise. but i would say your going to notice a performance difference when running a PCIII versus nothing at all.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:42 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by shimmon
well i have read, again, in american iron mag that the O2 sensors should compensate enough for pipes and higher air flow. but they also said that it should work untill they find out otherwise. but i would say your going to notice a performance difference when running a PCIII versus nothing at all.

I've read the same statement in several issues of AIM now. I don't know what gives. Now that I have full pipes now, instead of slipons, I probably need the fuelpak anyway. But, prior to these pipes, I had slipons and was getting some popping, etc. So, I added the fuelpak and it knocked it out.

Just to clarify, AIM has stated several times that the closed loop EFI bikes (07 and up) should not need any fuel management for what they term "small changes" like stage 1 a/c's and/or slipon mufflers, because the ECU should compensate for them.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:37 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would expect that to be true for slipons, but not the high flow ac. The ecms ability to adapt is geared toward uniform changes such as air and fuel quality and not non-uniform changes such as the ac introduces. Even if it does adapt there is the question of open loop. You don't install a high flow ac for cruising down the road at 60 mph for miles on end. You install it to put a smile on your face when you twist the throttle. You have more air, but you don't have more fuel. That's going to be less torque which isn't likely what you hoped for by installing the ac.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:41 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LilBudyWizer
Even if it does adapt there is the question of open loop.

I'm not arguing here. It was apparent to me I needed more fuel after just adding slipons. They were very open mufflers but would probably be considered a "small change" by the gurus at AIM. I added a fuelpak and a stage 1 a/c and problem solved.

But, according to several issues of AIM lately, it has been stated that the ECM should handle the changes with no fuel management on 07 and up CLOSED LOOP bikes.