Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black vs. Grey Powder Coat - Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dang, Mud, that cam cover looks like buttah! I have never seen that picture. Post some close-ups of the engine in the bike if you get a chance. Did you do any work on your rocker covers? They look brighter than mine.

2007FXD- I've been wondering the same thing about the SB. In case you missed it, my theory (though I still don't really get why they decided to fix what ain't broke):
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=15

Old 08-11-2008, 04:11 PM
powdercoater
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by powdercoater
BTW - the cost of powder coat colors does vary just like liquid paint. The more of a specialty the powder is the more it costs. For example, metallics cost more than solids and candies cost more than metallics. In fact, in some cases a solid red costs more than a solid grey just like the example of the Porsche paint jobs above but that's not why a grey engine costs more than a black one. I just wanted to set that record straight.
OK, OK, after a couple PM's let me clarify my statement about price variations. There are a few "middle man" companies that sell powder coat at an over-inflated price. Since they have already inflated their prices from the actual powder manufacture's prices they have set their prices [per pound] the same for all colors and special effects. Sorry for any confusion.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:37 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by powdercoater
OK, OK, after a couple PM's let me clarify my statement about price variations. There are a few "middle man" companies that sell powder coat at an over-inflated price. Since they have already inflated their prices from the actual powder manufacture's prices they have set their prices [per pound] the same for all colors and special effects. Sorry for any confusion.

Let's not get lost on the subject at hand here though. We are talking about the MOCO only and black vs. grey - ONLY. Any "custom" powdercoat job is going to cost more, and when you add exotic colors, etc, it's probably even more. But that has nothing to do with grey vs. black by the Moco and whether or not one is significantly cheaper than the other for them to mass produce.

All of the dyna models have their differences in order to make them unique. But, if you compare feature for feature on any 2 of the models, it's difficult to come up with the differences in price unless it has something to do with the black motors. And if a black motor is more expensive simply because of demand, why don't they paint them all black? haha

Old 08-11-2008, 04:42 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2007fxdc
So, given the fact that all newer bikes ARE powder coated, and we aren't talking exotic colors or candies here, just flat grey vs. black, are they the same from a labor and approx. cost perspective? And, if they are, and the reason black sells for more is because it is more in demand (I happen to like my grey motor), why the hell don't they just paint them all black or make it an option on some bikes? That's a rhetorical question as I don't expect anyone here to know the answer. Just strange to me what they've done to the Street Bob and if they wanted to find a way to reduce cost and powder coating the engine grey instead of black doesn't actually reduce the cost - then WTF?
they see more profitability this way...If all engines were black the moco could not get someone to pay more for the visual appeal of the black motor over the silver...
sure some like silver and some have silver because they can not justify the difference in price...for most seeing that lowrider /or fatbob gleaming with the black engine just offers more appeal... now paint the motor black on the FXDC and who in their right mind will pay the difference of thousands for a couple of chrome pieces and a tach that the lowrider offers....This is obviously a way to steer a perspective buyer towards a more profitable bike for the moco.
auto industry same way...
if the ford expedition costs 35K and the lincoln navigator costs 50K are you really getting 15 grand in extras... no the ford may spend a grand or two more to sell you the navigator but because of emotional justification they get that extra 15K out of you for the same damn vehicle with some extra crap on there...

clothes and accessories is even worse...

Old 08-11-2008, 04:43 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

oh yeah the black does have texture in it more so than the silver..

Old 08-11-2008, 04:44 PM
blacked out
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is no difference i used to own a custom powder coating facility and you can powedercoat grey or black for the same price. but if you get into hybrids, poly, and metalics it's a different ball game.

gordo

Old 08-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they see more profitability this way...If all engines were black the moco could not get someone to pay more
Yep-marketing and product placement. Perceived value an all that...

Old 08-11-2008, 07:58 PM
PsTaN
Road Master

Personally .... I think the MOCO went with the Silver/Black combination on the '09 BoB to try and recreate the look of the past as DawgRider pointed out. I say combination because that's what it really is ..... silver and black. A silver bottom with black jugs on top that dont even have the edges machined. From what I know, period Bobbers werent exactly put together to win beauty contests .... they were pieced together from what was available ..... lop off a fender here, top of that engine, bottom of this one, bolt a seat on and go.

I just really dont think the Silver on the '09 was done to save costs .... just like I dont think they chopped off the rear fender to save money on metal and paint!!

PsTaN

Old 08-12-2008, 05:56 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain

Originally Posted by PsTaN
Personally .... I think the MOCO went with the Silver/Black combination on the '09 BoB to try and recreate the look of the past as DawgRider pointed out. I say combination because that's what it really is ..... silver and black. A silver bottom with black jugs on top that dont even have the edges machined. From what I know, period Bobbers werent exactly put together to win beauty contests .... they were pieced together from what was available ..... lop off a fender here, top of that engine, bottom of this one, bolt a seat on and go.

I just really dont think the Silver on the '09 was done to save costs .... just like I dont think they chopped off the rear fender to save money on metal and paint!!

PsTaN

The Shovehead and older engines had black cylinders without bare fin edges because they were made of cast iron so they were painted to prevent rust. That also included the heads on the Ironhead Sprotster.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:57 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by PsTaN

PsTaN
It also actually now takes more design cues from the nightster that also sports the black heads/cylinders and chopped rear fender...too bad they did not use the nightster rear lights and plate though.

Quick Reply: Black vs. Grey Powder Coat - Cost?