Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattlecan Fun

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008 | 08:13 PM
GentlemanBiker
|
Cruiser
Default Rattlecan Fun

Step 1: I discover a can of high-gloss black enamel paint. I'd been looking at the battery case band thinking it should be black. Next thing you know, it's black. It was sort of a proof of concept, meaning I might clean the paint off and get it powdercoated. On the other hand, I sort of like that it has a few imperfections.

Step 2: I get a SE Stage 1 air cleaner. I figure that I will just go exposed element and use my skull medallion as a cover. Fine...except the stock back plate on the SE is gray, not black. Rather than buy a new, black plate, I buy a can of texture black and save a few bucks. Looks fine.

Step 3: What happens when you have a week at the beach with the in-laws and extended family? Why, you come up with a simple project to do in the evenings, of course! I bought a can of high-temperature grill paint, scuffed up the stock heat shields, and then sprayed them with a series of light coats. I left the stock slip-ons chrome because I had my eye on a used set of SE IIs and figured I would spray them. As it turns out, they would not work on my 2007, so I have ordered a Supertrapp 2:1...in black, of course.

Attached Thumbnails Rattlecan Fun-rattlecan_fun.jpg  
Old 08-10-2008 | 08:50 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member

I love spray paint.I just finished spraying my lowers with gloss black appliance epoxy.Then I sprayed my AC cover, then the rear signals.Then I decided to paint my fenders with pick up truck bed liner it's my favorite rattle can so far.It's like flat black wrinkle black thats tough as hell.

Old 08-10-2008 | 09:45 PM
benwiggin2
Road Master

OK, post up you two! Let's see them pic's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-10-2008 | 11:08 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member

Nice! I de-chromed my thunderheader pipes and heat shields, and sprayed with high heat BBQ paint.. holding up VERY nicely. Also sprayed my battery box band black as well.

Special Ed: Where are the pics man?!!?

GentlemanBiker: Bike looks good brotha! Let us know how those supertrapps are! Those are sharp looking pipes.

As Ed mentioned, I'm also going to be spraying my lowers with gloss black appliance epoxy paint soon enough.

Old 08-10-2008 | 11:13 PM
last saint
Road Master

Did the same with my battery box band. Worked great!

D

Old 08-10-2008 | 11:19 PM
The Shute
Club Member

That's old school cusomizing! Beats the hell outa spending cash at HD. Painted my first 1/2 dozen bikes from fender to fender with rattle cans. Works great and there ain't much metal to deal with.

Old 08-11-2008 | 02:32 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by GentlemanBiker
I left the stock slip-ons chrome because I had my eye on a used set of SE IIs and figured I would spray them. As it turns out, they would not work on my 2007, so I have ordered a Supertrapp 2:1...in black, of course.
Curious...why won't the SEIIs work on your 07? I have an 07 and have SEIIs installed and they seem to work just peachy.

Old 08-11-2008 | 06:41 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member

I'll shoot some pics when I get home today, it's too dark right now for them to come out good.

Old 08-11-2008 | 08:48 AM
JRK5892
Banned

very nice! Ed i have shot bed liner before it will hold up REAL well!

Old 08-11-2008 | 09:30 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member

I like this allot better than the Krylon "wrinkle black" I was using before.I actually use my back fender as a luggage rack now.It looks cleaner than the Motherwell rack and if it gets too scratched up I can always lay down another coat.My Bob is just a few cans of spray paint away from becoming a real rat.BTW I'm using Duplicolor bed liner paint.

Quick Reply: Rattlecan Fun