Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i'm selling my bike, layed it down again

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 07:33 AM
SHTFIT
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ackman1968
Absolutely no offense intended here but, maybe it's time to get into the advanced motorcycle safety course. Those guys have a way of re-opening our eyes to the bad habits we develope and I know in my case it has helped me to become a better rider. Either way, you have to do what's right for you even if it's selling the bike. Good luck.
Completely agree with these guys. Taking the course can help refocus you on things you may have gotten lax about...scanning ahead...safe riding distance between you and the vehicle in front, emergency breaking etc. So easy to get slack about that when you ride every day. I guarantee that you will ride with a different attentiveness after the course. Don't give up riding or the bike.

If I can get some free time, I'm going to hit the class in the fall just to stay sharp.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:13 AM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Oh yeah, I had to lay it down the week before to miss a car that stopped to turn left.
I just love that one....like you can really control a bike better sliding on your wallet than with the rubber side down. I guess it sounds a lot better than "I panicked, locked the brakes, and went down."

Freebyrd- lotsa good advice here. Take your time and do what your gut tells you. If you keep riding, a course or at least some braking practice will get your confidence on the right track.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:23 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

First off, glad you came out of it ok. Maybe ddog is right. Might be a good idea to take a safety course.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:41 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have layed it down a couple of times by people "panic stopping in front of you"
not to offend you but it may be time to stop tailgating...
Your bike probably has much longer stopping distance than you are used to.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:23 AM
madden23
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes I think that riding in traffic is a "chore" because you have to be constantly scanning for people who potentially might invade your right of way, by pulling out in front of you, turning left in front of you,running a light , stop sign, etc. but that is the price you have to pay to be on a bike. I've had lot's of close calls that would have been far worse, if I had not been anticipating someone doing something stupid. I'm never in a rush to get somewhere on a bike and always on high alert. Walk away from it for a few days, you've just had a string of bad luck. Not implying anything but, get on a deserted road somewhere and practice panic stops, I've been on bikes for almost 40 years and I still practice panic stops, musicians practice daily, why shouldn't a rider? I practice because my relexs are not what they were 40 years ago and it has helped me on several occassions. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:34 AM
crash1292
Banned

Originally Posted by ddog
No offense, but maybe it's time to take a MSF of Rider's Edge course to refocus.
no chit

Old 08-10-2008, 09:50 AM
2005UltraNC
Road Master

Tell you what, every bike is different. Simply takes time to get used to every bike. But, any time you can walk away from laying down a motorcycle is a good day in my book.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:44 AM
freebyrd
Road Master
Cool

thanks for all the ad vice i hurt like a **********er today i;ll do the msf before i decide and the other two times it went over were parking incidents i more or less stepped off and watched it fall over

Old 08-10-2008, 12:06 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, personally, if you dumped the bike three times then getting rid of it is a good idea. Particularly if you have been riding your entire life. Obviously something about the bike just doesn't match you. Take a hint. All bikes are not the same.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:38 PM
freebyrd
Road Master
Cool

just went out to start it up everythings tight and to look at it you couldn't tell anything happened screw it it was all emotion yesterday i'll take the msf and beat this son of a *****

Quick Reply: i'm selling my bike, layed it down again