Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange sound while riding !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 04:26 AM
kuleli
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange sound while riding !!!!!

Hi guys

I just noticed recently that I hear very strange sound while accelareting the bike. The sound comes from the back or from the motor itself.I could not recognize what it might be. Dropped at the dealer and hd tech told me it is the usual sound of harley bikes.But it is strange that I hear it after two years.....Anyone experienced the same....

thanks in advance for yr nice comments

06 wg hdi

Old 08-09-2008, 07:08 AM
dyna2319
Tourer

Could it be the famous inner primary bearing going bad? I see you have an 06 like myself and just had mine replaced a few weeks ago. On mine when you were in neutral you could really hear it whine. But when you put it in gear it mellowed out a little. Just my exerience.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:33 AM
BONES206
Cruiser

Can you give a better description of the sound.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:58 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

does it rattle, vibrate ,bang,sound like a skeleton B*ttFOOkin on a tin roof? We want to help ,but how does it sound?

Old 08-09-2008, 08:57 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by maddghost
does it rattle, vibrate ,bang,sound like a skeleton B*ttFOOkin on a tin roof? We want to help ,but how does it sound?

Now that brings a visual that almost made me spit my coffee out my nose.... Thanks

Old 08-09-2008, 10:18 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by maddghost
does it sound like a skeleton B*ttFOOkin on a tin roof??
Very colorful

Old 08-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Ky Windage
Cruiser

Just noticed a strange sound from my 08 LR this past weekend. Probably because I was riding with my windshield on.
The sound I heard was when crusing along 40 or so (bike was not lugging either and rpms at a nice level), then hitting the throttle hard, I'd hear a kind of squeal that was short lived... lasts about a second.
Sounds like a cross between a metal to metal squeal and a rubber belt squealing on a smooth pulley.
That's the best I can come up with what mine sounds like and seems to come from the left side of the engine.
When riding normal, it's fine and no odd sounds.
I'm under warranty, so I'm not going to worry about it for now.
Could be the clutch?

Old 08-09-2008, 12:27 PM
dajam_fxdli
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kuleli
Hi guys

I just noticed recently that I hear very strange sound while accelareting the bike. The sound comes from the back or from the motor itself.I could not recognize what it might be. Dropped at the dealer and hd tech told me it is the usual sound of harley bikes.But it is strange that I hear it after two years.....Anyone experienced the same....

thanks in advance for yr nice comments

06 wg hdi

Not knowing what he sound is, the best advice I can give is the three rattle, sounds, I have had on my 06 low rider.
The first was the inner bearing, this was definitely a whirring sound that became progressively louder as miles racked up. This happened around 12k; however you can definitely tell this one, that is you have good (mechanical) hearing.
The second wired noise I has was the wiring harness under the gas tank, it would periodically vibrate and sound like the motor starting to have a strange rattling, vibrating sound.
The third is funny, only under hard acceleration, I would get this rather loud rattle, there then gone.... Turned out to be the plastic plug on the bottom of the fuel gauge had fell off and was rattling around the bottom of the where the fuel gauge is mounted. I hope this helps, but as before not knowing the noise.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:54 PM
kuleli
Cruiser

thank you guys. The sound is annoying. coming from the rear left end. sounds like two things touch to each other thus making friction. maybe metal touchs to rubber or something so....sorry for my poor english. I hope I made myself clear....

Old 09-26-2008, 09:50 AM
e7huizar
6th Gear

Is this the same noise you get?
When I hit the throttle hard in higher gears, I get a strange squeak.
This does not occur under normal conditions.
It is more pronounced when it is in a slightly lugged condition.
For example, if I was to let the RPMs fall to 2000 in 5th gear and got on the throttle hard, it would chirp, squeal, squeak or what ever you call this noise.
i can also produce the noise when i am stoped. i hit the throttle hard as it comes down i hit it again and it will chirp, squeal, squeak or what ever you call this noise.
does anyone know what the noise is?

Quick Reply: Strange sound while riding !!!!!