Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this right?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 06:41 AM
Caston
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this right?

I went to the dealer yesterday and was asking about getting a new SE A/C, Big shot pipes, and the SERT mapping. I was told they don't sale the map itself, they have it there and will download it to my bike. I thought it was a software I bought and could put on my own computer. Am I wrong in my thinking. Maybe I'm missing something.....
Thanks for the help

Caston

Old 03-17-2006, 09:54 AM
ameristo
Cruiser
Default RE: Is this right?

My understanding is if you want the remap they do it and charge you 100-150. However if you buy the SERT around 450 you get the cables and software and can do it yourself.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6102/7667A747E0F743379C55C321DBB2B208.gif[/IMG]

Old 03-17-2006, 10:31 AM
wideglide06
Intermediate

I believe there is a misunderstanding. The dealer is most likely thinking you want a Stage 1 re-map, he is right, they do that download. You can buy the Sreamin' Eagle Race Tuner (SERT) from the parts department and do it your self or have the bike tuned on a Dyno. I would suggest not getting the Stage 1 re-map. If you decide on the SERT buy it through mail order, its cheaper. If you have a 06 Dyna it will run like crap with the configuration you have stated. You will have to do the SERT or use some other fuel/timing modification device. I have a similar configured 06 Wide Glide, it has the SE A/C and Python Duals Staggered. I am currently running a canned map from the SERT. The bike runs good, but has some surging at low speeds. When my quiet baffles arrive, I will have the bike Dyno tuned.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7545/5FF283B0A9B64A2DB880E8A37F46B003.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-17-2006, 01:44 PM
Caston
Advanced

Thanks for the info. I tried to make it clear to the guy at the service dept. that I wanted to buy the SERT outright and that is when he said they did the download there. I'll try to find the SERT myself and order it.
Thanks for the help

Caston

Old 03-17-2006, 11:37 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: wideglide06

I believe there is a misunderstanding. The dealer is most likely thinking you want a Stage 1 re-map, he is right, they do that download. You can buy the Sreamin' Eagle Race Tuner (SERT) from the parts department and do it your self or have the bike tuned on a Dyno. I would suggest not getting the Stage 1 re-map. If you decide on the SERT buy it through mail order, its cheaper. If you have a 06 Dyna it will run like crap with the configuration you have stated. You will have to do the SERT or use some other fuel/timing modification device. I have a similar configured 06 Wide Glide, it has the SE A/C and Python Duals Staggered. I am currently running a canned map from the SERT. The bike runs good, but has some surging at low speeds. When my quiet baffles arrive, I will have the bike Dyno tuned.
It positively amazes me, the misinformation that can be found here. The bike he has, with a/c, pipes and download will run just fine. jmo

Old 03-17-2006, 11:54 PM
JonHanna
Road Master

[/quote]
Snarly
It positively amazes me, the misinformation that can be found here. The bike he has, with a/c, pipes and download will run just fine. jmo
[/quote]

mine is..... Even though it is still lean(all of them are because the EPA) and pops under deceleration, but it is gonna have to hold me over until I get the $$$ for the 95" kit, ported heads and a sert. I figured if it leans out too much with the download, a/c and pipes it's not my fault if something goes. It's all H-D's product.

Old 03-18-2006, 04:45 AM
jakeshoe
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: JonHanna

Snarly
[/quote]

mine is..... Even though it is still lean(all of them are because the EPA) and pops under deceleration, but it is gonna have to hold me over until I get the $$$ for the 95" kit, ported heads and a sert. I figured if it leans out too much with the download, a/c and pipes it's not my fault if something goes. It's all H-D's product.
[/quote]

Jon,
Popping under decel is NOT a symptom of being lean, it is actually a symptom of being rich.

I have a '06 Street Bob with the SE II mufflers, air cleaner, and Stage 1 and it runs fine thus far with 350 miles on it.

First I'll give you a brief resume, I'm an ASE certified master auto tech with L1 (Advanced Engine Performance) and master engien machinist.

The popping on decel is a common deal on any internal combustion engine with a short exhaust lacking catalytic converters.
Go to any race track and listen to the cars with open headers (similar to drag pipes ona Harley) when they let off at the end of the track.
Even the injected cars "pop".

When you transition from acceleration mode to decel, the fuel system whether it be carbed or injected goes from fuel enrichment to shutting off fuel. It takes it a moment to react, for a second there will be a rich condition in the exhaust.
When the exhaust exits the hot oxygen depleted cylinder being rich (unburnt or not completely burnt fuel) it at some point comes in contact with fresh air containing oxygen. The hot exhaust and oxygen combust creating the "popping".

You can lessen this by having an instantaneous fuel shutoff when the throttle position sensor detects any lessening of throttle input but this may not always be the correct thing to do for engine longetevity.

Popping under acceleration is USUALLY a lean pop and is a symptom of being lean. You'll notice this on a vehicle that has a bad accelerator pump, bad TPS, fuel pump, etc...

Just wanted to clarify that so if you start trying to tune that out of your Harley you may find it hard to do by richening the fuel.