Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Wheel/Tire Removal , How hard is it really?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008 | 08:22 AM
HATZO1
|
Tourer
Default Rear Wheel/Tire Removal , How hard is it really?

Well its coming up time to get a new rear tire, and the stealership wants $236.40 to do the job including the tire. I find that a bit absurd for one flippen tire,&nbsp\\;so Im thinking about taking the wheel/tire off myself if its not to hard (I havent looked at the shop manual yet, Im at work) and getting a Indy to just do the mounting and balancing. I would consider myself a above average mechanic when it comes to cars and I have a very good selection of tools, I just need a m/c jack. So basically how hard of a job is it? thanks

Old 07-31-2008 | 08:31 AM
Ratbasturd
Road Master
Default RE: Rear Wheel/Tire Removal , How hard is it really?

Do it it ain't hard.

Get some anti seize grease and a jack and it's not any harder than taking off a bicycle wheel.

Old 07-31-2008 | 08:36 AM
glide05
Road Warrior

assuming the tire is going to probably cost &gt\\;$150, that price does not seem all that bad for everything. indy mount/bal is $30, jack is minimum $70

Old 07-31-2008 | 08:43 AM
HATZO1
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: glide05

assuming the tire is going to probably cost &gt\\;\\\\\\;$150, that price does not seem all that bad for everything. indy mount/bal is $30, jack is minimum $70
&nbsp\\;
It breaks down to about 171 for the tire and $65 labor. What they do is give ya discount on the labor if you buy the tire from them, other wise if you bring the bike and your own tire its $82/hr labor.&nbsp\\;I know once I factor in getting a jack then yea its not a bad deal but I do need the jack regardless. LOL and Id be gettign more than just a tire change for the price.

Old 07-31-2008 | 08:50 AM
glide05
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: HATZO1

ORIGINAL: glide05

assuming the tire is going to probably cost &gt\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;$150, that price does not seem all that bad for everything. indy mount/bal is $30, jack is minimum $70
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
It breaks down to about 171 for the tire and $65 labor. What they do is give ya discount on the labor if you buy the tire from them, other wise if you bring the bike and your own tire its $82/hr labor.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;I know once I factor in getting a jack then yea its not a bad deal but I do need the jack regardless. LOL and Id be gettign more than just a tire change for the price.
quite true - i tried to post more in my initial reply stating the positives of doing it yourself and buying the jack, but the forum problems limited my response.

Old 07-31-2008 | 09:01 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I DIY everything and use the savings to accumulate tools with the savings. Now I have a 10 drawer cabinet full of tools.

Old 07-31-2008 | 09:52 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

It's not that hard but that isn't a bad price either depending on the tire and the cost of the tire.

Old 07-31-2008 | 10:04 AM
NewMexRider
Tourer

My dealers service just went to crap the last couple of years so I have started the DIY on my Lowrider,&nbsp\\; can't do any "worse" than the jerks at the shop. Let us know how it goes Hatz.

NMR

Old 07-31-2008 | 10:10 AM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member

It is an easy thing to do and you will enjoy working on your bike. Take your time. You might even want to line parts out as you take them off to make sure they go back in same order. You will use your bike hoist for many things. I do all of my own work after the dealership did such a poor job on my 1000 mile service last year.

Old 07-31-2008 | 11:44 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

Get a service manual and a lift.&nbsp\\; You'll save enough cash doing simple work yourself to pay for both of them many times over.&nbsp\\; Then there's the whole feeling of accomplishment thing...

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel/Tire Removal , How hard is it really?