Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

progressive suspension shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 05:48 PM
jarhead45
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default progressive suspension shocks

ok ... I need to improve the suspension and braking on my 06 dyna super glide. Suspension first I guess. So looking into Progressives 412 line as they seem the most reasonably priced. Unfortunitly they no longer make the 11.5" model. I only wanted to lower the front and rear 1" and go from there to see how she handled. I am a big boy weighing in at 250 so from what I understand I need the heavy duty models. I will be changing the rear fender to a fatbob style with the whale tail flip in the back. I can possible adjust a little of the bottoming out issue by positioning the fender a little higher on the fender struts but I do not know if I can raise it enough or if it is going to look really goofy. I also hear there have been issues with too much lowering interfering with the belt guard. My question is about the 412 line and if&nbsp\\;this product&nbsp\\;is something I should be considering or if I should be looking at something else, or for that matter is my thinking totally whack. In which case I may need some direction as to what I should really be considering. Thanks again for everyones help.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:12 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default RE: progressive suspension shocks

1- Lowering makes the frame hit the pavement sooner when cornering.
2- I rode a 11 3/4" shock (on my 05 Dyna)and that was too short IMO. scraped constantly and the ground clearance was too low for the street IMO
3- If you want it for looks OK. I ride and I was not satisfied.
4- If you only have the price for a 412, maybe you should decide what is importaint. Save up and buy a for real shock. do research and find out how each one is made and how they work. Any progressive is not a good shock, educate yourself first than decide for yourself. There are much better shocks out there you can buy that actually work. Do yur homework before spending your $.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:04 PM
jarhead45
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

checked out your shocks.. wow... not my cup of tea. For $900 for a set of shocks kinda out of my budget... I work for a living. But I am interested in hearing about any other brands and types that work better for the money than progressive. Surely someone has put in the money and reasearch on this topic.. and has found a reasonable shock

Old 07-13-2008, 07:17 PM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an "03 Ultra with progressive rear shocks..
I ride long distance and&nbsp\\;two up alot with and without a cargo trailer or a campertrailer in tow.
I removed the rear air shocks and replaced them with progressive 412 heavy Duty black.
I tried the 12"(ps4050b)&nbsp\\;and then changed to the 13"(ps4020b).
The 13" progressive 412 HD Blk are without a doubt&nbsp\\;the best rear shocks I have ever had on any of my three electra glides.
Here is a chart that shows the different shocks for different models.
http://www.motorcycleproshop.com/acc...ive/harley.asp
I hope it helped some
chappy

Old 07-13-2008, 08:03 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

ORIGINAL: jarhead45

checked out your shocks.. wow... not my cup of tea. For $900 for a set of shocks kinda out of my budget... I work for a living. But I am interested in hearing about any other brands and types that work better for the money than progressive. Surely someone has put in the money and research on this topic.. and has found a reasonable shock
My site is not working now. I was in the process or completely re-publishing but a software glitch stopped me from adding any more information I have stored. I also am distributing and servicing YSS and Ohlins. YSS start at $169/Pair ~ add $20 for springs and body in chrome. A gas shock starts at $589 (for the billet) &amp\\;\\\\\\; add $20/chrome springs. YSS has been tested by our members here. Better (Nitrogen YSS) than Works Trackers which is much better than any Progressive. Do a search here and see what is in them and how they work. There is a big difference in shocks and only experience can qualify one to compare the products side by side. Question everything ~ it is the only way to true knowledge.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:54 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the 11" heavy duty Progressive 412s in the rear with thier springs up front.The heavy dutys are very firm but they need to be due to the lack of travel they should work fine for your weight.I have the progressive springs up front with 15 wt oil they feel much more plush than I expected and I'm almost wishing I went with 20wt oil.As has been mentioned before these are not the best shocks out there but they're the best I could afford and they're a definate improvement over stock.&nbsp\\;