Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New clutch cable has less slack?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 02:04 AM
BluBob
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New clutch cable has less slack?

Did a little searching and came up with some info, but not my specific problem. I installed a new clutch cable (+3") and noticed that with the adjuster tightened all the way (shortest housing) the cable barely has enough slack to get a dime behind the housing at the lever. Do I need to do something to seat the *****, ramp, or something else? I matched the new cable up with the old one and it has the same amount of travel, just a longer housing and cable length. I installed it once, couldn't get the lever connected, so I removed it, matched it up with the old one (same travel), and installed it again after I hooked up the lever. Saw the rubber o ring I forgot to put on the threads at the tranny housing, so I removed it and installed it a third time. This thing is killing me. Will it all shake out and be right once I adjust the clutchpack? I am worried that if the cable is not slack I may smoke the clutch sooner or later.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:36 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New clutch cable has less slack?

If you don't have that 1/16" freeplay at the cable housing and clutch lever, your clutch will be at least slightly compressed and will potentially slip.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
If I adjusted the clutch pack and that didn't fix it, I would be considering another cable.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:50 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like you are going to have to adjust the clutch pack first and then the cable. It is not that hard to do.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:21 PM
BluBob
Road Warrior

Yeah, I am going to adjust the clutchpack now. It seems wierd that I would have basically no play when the cable is adjusted to it's loosest setting. I am hoping the clutchpack adjustment gives some relief, but I don't see how that is possible. I frapped the lever a few times and I am pretty confident the ***** and ramps are as they should be.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:18 PM
BluBob
Road Warrior

Well after adjusting the clutchpack all appears to be straight. Something seated when I adjusted the allen screw back and forth and after backing it out a half and tightening the locknut the clutch cable had about the same amount of slack as the old one.&nbsp\\; I adjusted the cable and have no slippage, and smooth shifting so I think it is good. Thanks for the input, I was debating whether to crack the clutch cover again, but after reading here decided to push through and work on the clutchpack.