Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Information Dyna Inner Primary Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 09:08 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by meatballs
A friend of mine is a service tech at one of the dealers in Milwaukee.&nbsp\\; He told me that the 06/07 models did not have alignment studs on the case and this was causing the bearings to wear.&nbsp\\; Can anyone confirm this?

He is correct. They went back to doweled cases in the mid year 06 dynas.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:09 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jturley
Checked my sticker today it says 07-05...I assume the production date was July 2005 cause I have a 2006 model year. Does anyone know if the FXDI's produced in mid to late 2005 have the IPB issue. I remember reading somewhere there was a date range where they did not use the dowled primary's.
You do not have a doweled case. They changed back to dowels mid year 2006.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:18 AM
jasonyankees
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got mine back from the dealer after the bearing went for the second time. They changed everything , tranny case, inner primay case, ( whatever that is) Race bearing, etc etc. It is probaly more mental then anything else ,but the tranny feels better and the bike road better. My bearing went twice and the second time I paid the dealer 300 bucks to replace it. They refunded the money to me also.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:19 AM
jasonyankees
Advanced

Originally Posted by gearhead51
started tearing mine down tonight for the second IPB replacement in 7500mi. does anyone have the number for the MOCO rep that is handling this issue?
I talked to Kathy

Old 11-08-2009, 07:59 AM
30YRSL8
Stage II
Default Inner Primary Bearing

I purchased a new 2006 Dyna Wide Glide in February 2006, which now has 9K miles on it. Recently I noticed a strange sound coming from the primary, in neutral, engine running. Pull in the clutch and engage 1st gear, sound goes away. While riding the sound can be heard. Start reading the information available here, grabbed my owners manual, and stapled in the back is the letter stating that the owners manual has been amended, lubricant change intervals have been changed, and the Inner Primary Bearing (IPB) will be changed at 15K miles, and subsequent 15K mile intervals, signed by HD's VP of Quality and Customer Service. Next stop is the HD dealership down the street, and leave it for the diagnosis process, after the service order writer starts it, listens to it, shakes his head, and shuts it off. Several hours pass, and then it's time for the news. An assortment of parts and roughly $ 500 and I should be back in business.

Needless to say, something is NOT right here. I take the owners manual and go back to the dealer, and end up having lengthy discussion with the Service Manager and other senior technical staff at the dealership.

Next step is they will be contacting HD and discussing my situation. I should hear back from them by Tuesday.

Looking for feedback.

Almost 4 year old 2006 FXDWG, 9K miles, what appears to have a IPB failure (although I'm not sure that is the initial diagnosis, but will likely be found to be that). Parts include O-Ring, Inner Bearing Race, Inner Primary Oil Seal, Retaining Ring, Roller Bearing, clips, rings, and gaskets.

Is HD going to step up and make it right?

Last edited by 30YRSL8; 11-08-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:13 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain
Default Check these photos!!

Originally Posted by QehQeh
...The Inner Primary Bearing is hanging it up, stuck on the shaft. Isn't the rollers/outercase part of the bearing suppose to just slip off of the inner race?
QehQeh
Hi All:
Well, I finally got the bearing off. The bearing is a stock bearing. What I thought was a ring or clip set in the inner race (keeping the outer roller assembly from coming off) was in fact a lip formed from displaced metal, adjacent to the groove worn in the inner race. Check these photos out! The marks on the front part of the race are where I had to grind off the lip that was holding the rollers/outer race on.
QehQeh

Attached Thumbnails  New Information Dyna Inner Primary Bearing-ipb_inner_race_lr.jpg    New Information Dyna Inner Primary Bearing-ipb_inner_race_shine_lr.jpg  
Old 12-03-2009, 03:01 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain

So, I’ve got the bike apart, got all the new parts for the repair, and I think to myself, “If I do the repair myself, and the bearing fails a second time, I’m back to square one. I’m not going to be able to get the Moco to pay for new cases etc.”
I called Customer Service in Milwaukee and, as I suspected, they said if I was doing the work myself, they couldn’t help me in any way. They said I had to have a dealer do the work to verify that the parts were indeed defective, and then the dealer could make a “Good Will” claim.
So, I got together a portfolio of photos of the damaged parts, copies of the “Notice of Amendment to Owner’s Manual” letters, etc. I went to my local Harley dealer and presented my case to the service manager. I was in luck. He smiled and said he knew all about the defects and, as a matter of fact, one of his friend's bike was there right now having the same repair done. He said, "No problem, we'll come pick up the bike." He said they would make a good will claim and I would just have to pay a $100 “Administration Fee.” He said he wished they could just go ahead and replace the cases, etc. but they have to go through the “after the second bearing fails” protocol with the Moco.
I got the bike back a week after they picked it up! They replaced the rotor, stator and the IPB. They're even going to give me a refund on the parts I originally bought to do the repair myself.
AND, the fantastic wash/detail job they did on the bike was almost worth the $100 Admin fee!
Anyone in the OC area who needs these repairs done, PM me.
Thanks much to all on this forum who offered information and advice!
QehQeh

Old 12-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Wonkaboy
Banned
Exclamation Rotor/Stator

Originally Posted by QehQeh
So, I’ve got the bike apart, got all the new parts for the repair, and I think to myself, “If I do the repair myself, and the bearing fails a second time, I’m back to square one. I’m not going to be able to get the Moco to pay for new cases etc.”
I called Customer Service in Milwaukee and, as I suspected, they said if I was doing the work myself, they couldn’t help me in any way. They said I had to have a dealer do the work to verify that the parts were indeed defective, and then the dealer could make a “Good Will” claim.
So, I got together a portfolio of photos of the damaged parts, copies of the “Notice of Amendment to Owner’s Manual” letters, etc. I went to my local Harley dealer and presented my case to the service manager. I was in luck. He smiled and said he knew all about the defects and, as a matter of fact, one of his friend's bike was there right now having the same repair done. He said, "No problem, we'll come pick up the bike." He said they would make a good will claim and I would just have to pay a $100 “Administration Fee.” He said he wished they could just go ahead and replace the cases, etc. but they have to go through the “after the second bearing fails” protocol with the Moco.
I got the bike back a week after they picked it up! They replaced the rotor, stator and the IPB. They're even going to give me a refund on the parts I originally bought to do the repair myself.
AND, the fantastic wash/detail job they did on the bike was almost worth the $100 Admin fee!
Anyone in the OC area who needs these repairs done, PM me.
Thanks much to all on this forum who offered information and advice!
QehQeh
What year is your bike ? i had my IPB done last year and the MOCO paid , now your saying the MOCO knows about the Stator/rotor issue and will pay ? I plan on buying the upgrade kit for it ( just to be on the safe side ) and have my friend do it for me , and also if the bearing go's a second time it's because of the cases and the MOCO pays that ? Are there any recall sheets out there to download ? I notice the service manual and parts books for 2006 are updated because they have an A after the part # so maybe they put the new stator/rotor in it .. Regards, Wonka

Last edited by Wonkaboy; 12-03-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Wonkaboy
Banned
Exclamation Factory Recalls

I found these recalls on line i wonder how long they honor them ?

http://www.arfc.org/motorcycles/HARL...N/recalls.aspx

Here another link for recalls for everything including Harley Davidson http://www.safercar.gov/ You can subscribe to NHTSA to recieve emails when Harley Submits or maybe ADMITS that they have a recall ..

Last edited by Wonkaboy; 12-03-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:58 AM
QehQeh
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Wonkaboy
What year is your bike ? i had my IPB done last year and the MOCO paid , now your saying the MOCO knows about the Stator/rotor issue and will pay ? I plan on buying the upgrade kit for it ( just to be on the safe side ) and have my friend do it for me , and also if the bearing go's a second time it's because of the cases and the MOCO pays that ? Are there any recall sheets out there to download ? I notice the service manual and parts books for 2006 are updated because they have an A after the part # so maybe they put the new stator/rotor in it .. Regards, Wonka
Hey Wonkaboy:
To cover my butt, I'll have to say that the info I posted is about MY recent experience with the Moco. Can't say if anyone else will have the same luck, although it certainly wouldn't hurt to try!
Regarding "and also if the bearing go's a second time it's because of the cases and the MOCO pays that ?" that is what I understand based on previous posts on this and other forums. I suppose I'll find out if this is accurate if/when my IPB fails a second time. I think the important thing is that you go on record with the Moco as having the IPB replaced by a dealer. Then if the bearing fails a second time, the dealer has the ammo to get the full treatment for you.
Regarding the recalls: the info that I've gleaned from the forums is the stator/rotor and IPB defects don't qualify for recalls because they are not "safety related."
The problem with the stator/rotor upgrade is that in order for the Moco to pay for it, it has to fail. They won't fix it if it's not broken. I would probably just have your friend take the rotor out and have the bolts welded like other members of the forum have done. Just make sure the welds are all even so the assembly does not get out of balance.
If you do decide to buy the stator/rotor upgrade kit PM me, I still have the kit that I bought online when I was planning on doing the repair myself. I bought it from a dealer recommended on the forum @ the best price. If I return it, I'm going to get charged a restocking fee, so I could probably sell it to you at a discount and we both would come out ahead. Let me know ASAP as I was planning on returning it Monday.

Quick Reply: New Information Dyna Inner Primary Bearing