Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Ducati trade???...help

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 10:51 PM
devils haircut
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Possible Ducati trade???...help

ORIGINAL: traveler

For me?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; No brainer.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Harley Davidson.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
~Joe
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;
Why?&nbsp\\; Is it for waranty and dealer support?&nbsp\\; Makes sense.&nbsp\\; But please dont say "cuz harley made it."

Old 07-04-2008, 10:58 PM
rok312
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: devils haircut
How is the front end on your sv650? \\\\\\; I heard they are mushy, but can be swapped out for the gsxr forks.
You heard right about the mushy front end on the SV. Its sprung for a high school cheeleader. I ended up replacing the springs with a set of stiffer springs from SonicSprings - they specialize in race springs, and race SV650's - along with putting in heavier oil. A lot of guys go with GSXR forks, but I don't have a track anywhere nearby that I'll be doing track days on anytime soon, so stiffer springs and heavier fork oil was enough for me.

The springs made such a huge difference in ride and handling quality that I inquired if they made springs for Dyna's - they don't, but replied that if I sent them my stock ones to template, they could make me some. Haven't bitten that bullet yet...but thinking about it.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:51 PM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 39,838 Likes on 13,478 Posts

Lots of good used inexpensive sport bikes for sale,you might want to consider a second bike.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:06 AM
devils haircut
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RAWHIDE07

Lots of good used inexpensive sport bikes for sale,you might want to consider a second bike.
LOL...considering a second bike is easy...paying for it isn't!
I just started a family on a military paycheck.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:06 AM
C-Cat
Tourer

i'll have to admit that i've looked at trhe ducati 1098 and the 2008 v-max as a second bike, but after thinking about it only so much time to ride and i'll stick to the harley even i wouldn't mind owning the others if i could rationalize the purchase.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:04 AM
VenturaChop
Road Master

ill rather have a harley motor and trans&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp \\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; my **** runs great&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; ftw

Old 07-05-2008, 05:28 AM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the Monster but I like the Sport 1000 biposto better

I also like the Triumph Scrambler

Old 07-05-2008, 06:35 AM
doublenaughtspy
Tourer

long time ducati owner here (748S with 853 big bore kit).&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; My Duc has been near bullet proof.&nbsp\\; Lots of aftermarket stuff if you know where to look.&nbsp\\; Sketchy parts support if you need OEM stuff.&nbsp\\; Make sure your local dealer has a good rep.&nbsp\\; The valve train is much more intricate than a Harley, but valve train maintenance has been lengthened to 12k.&nbsp\\; Expect to pay about $700-1000 for belt replacement and valve train adjustment.&nbsp\\; The ride is much different than that of a Harley.&nbsp\\; I find that my Duc keeps telling me to go faster, while the wide glide just tells me to enjoy the ride.&nbsp\\; The duc is much happier going fast while it is no fun at all just cruising around.&nbsp\\; The ride position on a Monster is not as extreme as my 853, but it'll still be forward with your legs a little back.&nbsp\\; This will put strain on your arms and wrists which gets uncomfortable unless you're going fast enough for the wind to help keep you propped up.&nbsp\\; This is really an apples to oranges comparison - see if you can take one for an extended test ride - at least 30 miles.&nbsp\\; If you just want to cruise around and commute, I'd stick with the Harley.&nbsp\\; Also, you won't want to take long trips on a Duc due to comfort (or lack thereof).&nbsp\\; A monster is leans more towards the sportbike side of things.&nbsp\\; In addition to valve/belts, you'll also have chains and sprockets to worry about.&nbsp\\; It'll be a little more maintenance intensive, but reliability will be as good (or possibly better) than your dyna.&nbsp\\; (Mine has only been in the shop 1 time for a parts failure, and that was due to a manufacturing defect in the cylinder head when it was new 8 years ago.)&nbsp\\; It has only been in the shop for valve adjustments since then.&nbsp\\; Too bad you can't afford both&nbsp\\;- they are really different bikes and both are great!&nbsp\\;

Old 07-05-2008, 08:40 AM
FATBOB67
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Steve Zodiac

I like the Monster but I like the Sport 1000 biposto better

I also like the Triumph Scrambler

&nbsp\\;
I guess they are good bikes, but they are butt ugly!! The Scrambler looks like a '60's era Honda trail bike my brother had. I think it was called a Scrambler also.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Tattooedlife
Cruiser

Rok312 those black apes really set your bike off. Looks good.

Quick Reply: Possible Ducati trade???...help