Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing Kuryakyn grips

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 09:38 AM
lowrider1971
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing Kuryakyn grips

I just purchased some ISO grips from Kuryakyn, The instructions have 1 very&nbsp\\;"small"&nbsp\\;picture showing the throttle connections. I need more detailed help. Is there a link to help me with some more Pictures??? thanx

Old 07-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Kockdiesel
Tourer
Default RE: installing Kuryakyn grips

Just put mine on the other day. It's pretty easy, take out 4 screws on throttle control. It's a bit difficult to do because of **** hanging in the way. with needle nose pliers remove the 2 round pieces that fit in the throttle. Be careful not to lose those pieces and remember which cable was on which side. Pull off old grip, slide on ISO. Connect the 2 round pieced in the holes in the ISO and put everything back together. Clutch side is much easier, just remove old grip and pour the glue into the ISO and push it on quickly. Try to push it on to match the throttle grip because the glue dries fast and you don't have much time to move it.

I hope this helps a little.

Diesel

Old 07-04-2008, 10:24 AM
NA7A
Tourer

My advice, have HD put them on. I had a non-HD shop put them on and left hand side came off while I was riding, scared the SH!! out of me. Took it into HD and they re-gluded it for free even though I didnt buy the grips from them or have them put it on in the first place. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:47 PM
VenturaChop
Road Master

get a servive manual

Old 07-04-2008, 12:56 PM
FATBOB67
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: NA7A

"left hand side came off while I was riding, scared the SH!! out of me".
&nbsp\\;
I hate it when that happens!!!
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Frankster69
Tourer

I put my Harley grips on and there glueless

Old 07-04-2008, 06:02 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: NA7A

My advice, have HD put them on. I had a non-HD shop put them on and left hand side came off while I was riding, scared the SH!! out of me. Took it into HD and they re-gluded it for free even though I didnt buy the grips from them or have them put it on in the first place. Just my 2 cents.
&nbsp\\;
when my HD dealer replaced the handlebars under warranty, the grips kept coming loose.&nbsp\\; took it back 3 three times till they finally got it right. Thus, simply because they are HD doesn't mean they are the best mechanics and they will get it right.&nbsp\\; secret is to sand the bars a bit to rought them up where the grips go,&nbsp\\; fill the Kury grips with the glue they provide, and slip/push them on.&nbsp\\; be sure before you start pushing them on that they are where you want them on the bar, since the glue sets up REALLY quick.&nbsp\\; I've done a bunch of them on various bikes and haven't had a bit of problem with them coming loose or installing the cables.&nbsp\\; just take your time and be cautious of not loosing the small brass ferrels.&nbsp\\; I just loosen up one of the throttle cables (counted how many turns I took), installed the cables and tightened the cable up the same # of turns i used to loosen it.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-04-2008, 06:07 PM
cooknhogz
Advanced

Ya, have the Harley shop put them on if you have more&nbsp\\;money than you know what to do with. Come on, it's not rocket science. You'll figure it out.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:14 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: lowrider1971

I just purchased some ISO grips from Kuryakyn, The instructions have 1 very&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;"small"&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;picture showing the throttle connections. I need more detailed help. Is there a link to help me with some more Pictures??? thanx
Don't forget to put the shim in the brake lever or you will learn how to replace the front brake light switch too.&nbsp\\;Manual worth every penny.
Ron

Old 07-05-2008, 05:46 AM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you remove the brake lever when changing the grips?

+1 on glueing the grips. I once saw a guy pull an an old Triumph onto the centre stand and both the grips came off in his hand. The bike fell over and he stood there with a blank look on his face holding the grips. It was pretty funny.

Changing the grips is easy enough. It's the reverse of taking the old ones off. You may have to adjust the free play on the throttle afterwards. Before you slacken the two cables count the number of threads showing and write it down.

Don't drop the brass ferrules. Put a damp towel on the ground first in case they drop.

Quick Reply: installing Kuryakyn grips