Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Upgrade on '06 StreetBob

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Jay Risk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Upgrade on '06 StreetBob

2006 Street Bob Dual Brembo Brake Conversion- a report
Using V-rod lowers and keeping the midglide trees(for handling)
Brembo calipers and&nbsp\\; for an ’08 FL Harley
300mm rotors
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; A year ago I had one of those life-altering events occur when a cager panic stopped in front of me on the tollway.&nbsp\\; I was riding 2up and hit the brakes at 70 mph only to discover that OEM brakes on my StreetBob are inadequate! I had noticed brake fade on the twisties, but that I could have lived with by simply slowing down(don’t like that solution, but it was a solution). The tollway situation made me convinced that better brakes were a necessity. Period.
&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; So, I started looking.&nbsp\\; Corresponded with and/or learned from many on this forum- Anthony, Woodreaux, Paladin1, Spanish Flyer, RRacing, Tomato, Bukaneros, etc. Many problems encountered by everyone seeking to put dual front brakes on their ‘06+ Dynas.&nbsp\\; The search led me to Howard Messner at MotorcycleMetals.com, Inc.(a forum sponsor). Over a couple of months we talked, got parts together, experimented, etc.&nbsp\\; I knew what I wanted- dual Brembo calipers and 300mm rotors on the front.&nbsp\\; Howard did the research and development.
&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Last week I took the finished product on a 1300 mile honeymoon trip with the woman who was my passenger that day on the tollway and is now my wife.&nbsp\\; The stopping power of those brakes is fantastic.&nbsp\\; No comparison with the stock brakes.&nbsp\\;
Brembo calipers from an ’08 FL bike, 300mm rotors, Lyndal gold pads= 25% less stopping distance at 50 mph. No fade on twisties when riding 2 up carrying gear and solo riding hard(Michigan has a great little road- no Deals Gap, but great, none the less- along the East coast of Lake Michigan near Good Hart(M119).&nbsp\\; I had several hard stops when cars did unexpected things in intersections, and the Brembos were vast improvements over OEM!
&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Howard rebuilt the inners of the lower legs, kept my RaceTech cartridge emulators and progressive springs for handling, used his design and manufacturing skill to produce a quality upgrade kit, and got rid of the friction so the wheel spins free when not braked.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; This was the best upgrade I have done to the bike. Period. I can ride aggressively on the twisties and stop hard when I need to.&nbsp\\; Great bike.&nbsp\\; Great help from Howard Messner(FastHarley on the forum)and forum members. Thanks everyone for helping this year long odyssey come to a successful end.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Jay Risk
’06 Street Bob
Stage 1
D&amp\\;D Fatcat 2 into 1 pipes
Progressive 440 shocks
Racetech cartridge emulators and Progressive springs up front

[IMG]local://upfiles/22670/4F021382482E425F9FD74E8F85B59EA9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-02-2008, 05:20 PM
upnorthbiker
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Brake Upgrade on '06 StreetBob

Sounds like a really good job, is he going to produce a kit so maybe we can all have the braking power you have ?
All the best,
Jeff.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:19 PM
sycle1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like twin disk brakes like that.
I noticed on the test ride of the street bob the stock brakes are useless at any speed over 35mph

Old 07-02-2008, 06:29 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Useless above 35 mph? You might want to get your brakes checked.
Talk about exaggeration...

Old 07-02-2008, 07:30 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

If you dont mind me asking, how much did you spend on that sort of job? I would definitely LOVE to do something like that, but not sure it would be within my budget right now.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Very nice. Wish HD had that setup as a factory option.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Jay Risk
Tourer

upnorthbiker, I'm sure Howard is set up to duplicate or change out the build.You can go lots of ways- save money by getting used parts, substitute other calipers for the Brembos, etc.&nbsp\\; The thing you can't do without are the internals that were designed and machined to make the V-rod lowers work on the Dyna front forks.&nbsp\\; Without that modification you'll change the rake and trail and risk problems.Howard can set you up so that the calipers and rotors align perfectly for greatest stopping power.Give him a call or PM him(FastHarley member of the forum).Good luck. Jay

Old 07-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Jay Risk
Tourer

Adrian,I put some $ into the project that the next guy won't have to.Talk to Howard about what you want and he'll give you an idea of what it will cost you.Good luck.Jay

Old 07-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Morloka
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brake Upgrade on '

I am going to be honest, but there has never been a time when any bike I have ridden had trouble breaking, I mean do you relly think that adding a disk is going to save you life if a cage cuts into the side of your bike? the only reason I have ever gone down is because of too much brake! sop adding more stoppiong power dosent sound like a good idea to me, sorry my two sence