Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need front end CLUNK service bullitin

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 10:06 AM
buellrider76
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Need front end CLUNK service bullitin

I posted on this a week or so ago, but not to many people read it. I had the clunk on my '08 with only 56 miles on it. Knew what it was and the bulletin number thanks to this site. The dealer at first didn't want to do it cause my VIN didn't list it as needed. I eventually talked them into the work and they did fall away checks. This is something you need to do if you replace the washer yourself.
There was another guy in the dealership that had had the same issue since new and like a few of you, his dealer told him that it was normal for harleys. Well, two riding seasons into owning the bike and the nut had loosened enough that the neck could be move by hand. If you had buddies or just overhear someone mention this infamous "CLUNK" let them know what it's all about. I'd hate to get on here on day and see that someone got killed because there neck seperated.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:04 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

It is funny you all are mentioning this clunk becuase.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I have noticed that when I brake and also hit a bump or pothole my '07 makes a clunking noise, too. &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;At first I thought it was the transmission downshifting on its own - that's what it sounds like, as if from the xmission is located, not the stem nut area.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:08 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master

And another thing - anyone have a copy of the instruction sheet for the Service Bulletin - J04468?

Old 06-25-2008, 04:27 PM
Don51
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed the chrome stem cap just to see what everybody was talking about. What HD calls the lockwasher is nothing more that a flat washer with a tab bent up against the flat of the nut. Not sure what they were thinking when they designed that, because the so called lockwasher is not going to hold anything. That and the nut are just going to loosen up together. I would rather see a regular spring lockwasher&nbsp\\;on there instead. Mine was still tight yet, but I will run it into the dealer with a copy of the&nbsp\\;bulletin and have them fix it.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-25-2008, 05:10 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

&nbsp\\; Hey Don 51
....................Let us know what your Dealer says, and if they have to order parts or what.&nbsp\\; Have him explain what they exactly do and report back&nbsp\\; to this thread for the rest of us would ya???

Old 06-25-2008, 08:53 PM
socobandit
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine is starting to do the same thing...07 sb....i think its still under warranty, but if its not, anybody have the instructions for the procedure?

Old 06-25-2008, 10:17 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: harley_jeff

It is funny you all are mentioning this clunk becuase.&nbsp\\; I have noticed that when I brake and also hit a bump or pothole my '07 makes a clunking noise, too.&nbsp\\; At first I thought it was the transmission downshifting on its own - that's what it sounds like, as if from the xmission is located, not the stem nut area.
If it sounds like it's coming from the transmission area, it may likely be the jiffy stand slapping back up against the frame when you go over manhole covers or potholes.

There is a rubber stopper attached to the frame but the pad area easily spins out of the way allowing the jiffy stand to make contact with the frame.&nbsp\\; It gives you the sound of a clunk you can even feel up through the pegs if it's slapping hard enough and making good contact with the frame.

This solved a little bit of my noise/clunk feel, but the front-end clunk was entirely different because it was accompanied by the feeling of front end looseness, and the sound was a little bit different in pitch, like it was muffled.&nbsp\\; Which makes sense since the clunk was happening under a cap in the steering head.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:33 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master

Yeah, now that you mention it, I can feel something in the left peg, that's why I thought the xmission was shifting on its own.&nbsp\\; I will check out the jiffy stand thing.&nbsp\\; Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

Old 06-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Bdsvette
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am glad to see this bulletin. I have an 06 wide glide that clunks and feels so loose in the front end I feel like I am riding on ice. When you pull in the clutch the hole front end vibrates badly. I have been fighting with the dealer for some time now always ending with nothing being done. I made an appointment with another dealer and will be armed with this bulletin. Thankyou for posting.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Don51
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: LWOS

&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Hey Don 51
....................Let us know what your Dealer says, and if they have to order parts or what.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Have him explain what they exactly do and report back&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; to this thread for the rest of us would ya???
&nbsp\\;
You got it!!! I read from some others that the original lock nut is replaced by a thicker flat washer. I still don't see how that will be any different!!! If that's what it is, then I just might go with a regular spring lock washer, unless someone convinces me that wouldn't work. I'll see what the local HD dealer says....so far they have been pretty good with me.

Quick Reply: Need front end CLUNK service bullitin