Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need front end CLUNK service bullitin

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 08:26 AM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member

Received 147 Likes on 100 Posts
Default RE: Need front end CLUNK service bullitin

I had the noise in the front end, called the dealer. They had to order the parts. When parts arrived, dealer called me and I went in to have the work done under warrenty. Riding away from dealer, started hearing noises every so often. Finally dawned on me that I was riding over manhole covers and that was the noises I was hearing. But the repair was done right. No more clunk. '07 SB

Old 06-24-2008, 02:10 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I found a copy of the M-1215B bulletin (it is amended with a couple diff part numbers, and it also amends the bikes affected by the bulletin).

EDIT:&nbsp\\; Scroll down three posts there are two links to PDF versions of the bulletins.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:02 PM
jasononaharley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always had the clunk... i bought the bike in Sept. '08. a few weeks later i brought her in for the 1K service, mentioned the "CLUNK" and they torqued down the nut. in march/april, i thought i heard the return of the "CLUNK" but it was because i did not tighten down my tank when i installed the lift for it (which i did not like so i removed it).

once i reached about 3,000 miles, the "CLUNK" returned. you hear it when you hit a nice bump. as someone once described it, it makes the bike sound cheap. when i called my dealership about it (knowing already about the bulletin - and having the washer from another dealership), they looked up my records and saw that when they first tightened down they did not have the bulletin, but told me to bring it in and they will replace the washer under warranty.

but back to your question... if the "CLUNK" is there, you will know it.
ORIGINAL: 07 StreetBob

Did you have the clunk at the time? \\\\\\; I haven't heard it on mine.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Punty
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: jasononaharley

I always had the clunk... i bought the bike in Sept. '08. a few weeks later i brought her in for the 1K service, mentioned the "CLUNK" and they torqued down the nut. in march/april, i thought i heard the return of the "CLUNK" but it was because i did not tighten down my tank when i installed the lift for it (which i did not like so i removed it).

once i reached about 3,000 miles, the "CLUNK" returned. you hear it when you hit a nice bump. as someone once described it, it makes the bike sound cheap. when i called my dealership about it (knowing already about the bulletin - and having the washer from another dealership), they looked up my records and saw that when they first tightened down they did not have the bulletin, but told me to bring it in and they will replace the washer under warranty.

but back to your question... if the "CLUNK" is there, you will know it.
ORIGINAL: 07 StreetBob

Did you have the clunk at the time?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; I haven't heard it on mine.
&nbsp\\;
Dude whats the future like?[sm=joke.gif]

Old 06-24-2008, 06:50 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I received a few requests for the newest version of the bulletin so I decided to drop them on a file hosting website so people could get them with out having to go through the trouble of waiting for my email.

Click the link below to view or save the .PDF file.

Service Bulletin M-1215

Service Bulletin M-1215B (Revised)

The latter is the newest version of this service bulletin.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:17 PM
danrad55
Cruiser

I am glad to see this issue posted again.&nbsp\\; I just got my 2007 FXDC back from the dealer after it was&nbsp\\;there for almost 4 weeks.&nbsp\\; This is the third time that I have had it there for front end issues.&nbsp\\; Just over 2000 miles and almost&nbsp\\;1 year old.&nbsp\\; I brought it in this time for a wobble as well as the clunk.&nbsp\\; Very unsettling when going into turns.&nbsp\\; They didn't know anything about the bulletin until I brought them a copy.&nbsp\\; Had to wait on parts.&nbsp\\; They balanced the front wheel and replaced washer and supposedly checked fall away and everything else.&nbsp\\; The wobble is much better, not perfect.&nbsp\\; My dealer did contact the factory and they said the MoCo said that the noise and vibration I still feel, especially when the tire runs in a crack or groove on the street is called "Harmonics" and it is normal.&nbsp\\; It just doesn't feel right and not the&nbsp\\;quality that I expect from Harley.&nbsp\\; My daughters 2002 Suzuki Bandit 600 feels more solid.&nbsp\\; I just put on a couple of hundred miles during the Illinois Freedom Run (Great Rally!) and I had to force myself to tolerate the front end issues.&nbsp\\; Maybe my expectations are too high for the Dyna as compared to the other metric bikes I have owned, and still own.&nbsp\\; My feeling is that if we are paying what we are paying for these bikes, we should expect the highest level of quality and so far I am not seeing it.&nbsp\\; If I eventually change to something other than a Harley because of this I will not feel bad.&nbsp\\; It's too bad because I really like my Dyna and want it to be right.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:33 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for posting the updated bulletin!
CB

Old 06-24-2008, 11:08 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I sent an email to the service manager of our Harley Dealer.&nbsp\\;We've spent thousands of dollars between our two bikes, plus we store them at the Dealership over the winter, so&nbsp\\;he know us by our first names.&nbsp\\; Anyway, this is the reply he sent me.&nbsp\\; So, I guess you have to physically VOICE a problem or they wont voluntarily "fix" or even "inspect" it for problems.&nbsp\\; I suppose it's to save&nbsp\\; MOCO&nbsp\\; from having to pay thousands upon thousands of dollars in warranty claims.&nbsp\\;They probably said to their dealers......" IF THEY DONT ASK......DON'T TELL......
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;Lee, This is a bulletin for problems with a clunking front end, I reviewed your work orders and do not see any complaints of this concern, it is not a structural update. It is to correct a direct customer concern. I assure your bikes were serviced here the steering head bearings are&nbsp\\; in adjustment. Todd
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-25-2008, 09:13 AM
carltex
Road Warrior

Where exactly do you go to look up these service bulletins? Just called the local service department and they said to bring it in and they would look at it and order the part if needed. Pointed out to me first that this is something they check during regular maintenance intervals and then had to go check on it after I told him about the bulletin.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:27 AM
carltex
Road Warrior

OK, was just told by another dealer that there was no service bulletin. He told me it was just loose bearings.Warranty is almost up and I do my own service so guess this one will be mine too.

Quick Reply: Need front end CLUNK service bullitin