Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need front end CLUNK service bullitin

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Kelcarrus
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need front end CLUNK service bullitin

I took the bulliten number to my dealer. They ordered it and installed it under warrenty. It did not fix the clunk. It's not the forks and not the gas tank. It is definitly in the fork stem but they can't fix it.
Hope you have better luck.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:01 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the noise is just during braking and you have a floating front rotor,&nbsp\\;the rotor&nbsp\\;may be the source of your noise.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; If you experience the "clunk", you will probably notice&nbsp\\;it during braking and rough roads and bumps.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I could feel the clunk as well as hear it.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:11 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

mine is when i hit bumps! and yes it sounds just like a trailer hitch on the hitch of a vehicle, perfect description

Old 06-23-2008, 04:30 PM
davidsdad
Road Warrior

I contacted my local stealership and told them about this bulletin, they said over the phone that they looked up my bike by using the vin number and told me that my bike wasn't affected by this. My bike is a 2007 Dyna Street Bob, so what gives???

Old 06-23-2008, 04:41 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member

Remove the chrome steering stem cover in the middle of your upper tree.&nbsp\\; It just spins off.&nbsp\\; See if you have a thin washer under the steering hrad nut.&nbsp\\; If it is the thin washer, the edge of the washer will be bent to lie against the flat edge of one side of the nut.&nbsp\\; If this is what you find, then you probably need the service kit mentioned in the bulletin.&nbsp\\; If you have a thick washer, then you may be OK.&nbsp\\; Check the torque on the nut while you have the cover off.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Keep in mind there is an adjustment nut under the top tree which is also torqued for proper fall away.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:02 PM
reded
Road Captain

If its making the clunk while hitting bumps, it is the nut under the top tree. All that is needed is to loosen the lower tree pinch bolts then use a punch and hammer and&nbsp\\;tap the lower nut in order to tighten it up a bit. Tighten the lower tree back up and take it&nbsp\\;for a spin. This should cure the problem.&nbsp\\;If it does, you'll need to loosen the top pinch bolts and reset the torque on the top nut.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:52 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have seen another post on this and the bulletin listed&nbsp\\;has&nbsp\\;incorrect P/Ns&nbsp\\;and has been amended, M-1215A.
CB

Old 06-24-2008, 04:51 AM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I went to the HD dealer to check on this service bulliten there was actually a M-1215B.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:39 AM
jasononaharley
Cruiser

I went to my dealer a week before I left for my 3 day run and they knew all about the "CLUNK" and took care of it right away (no wait/no questions asked).

Now on the other hand, about a month ago I was at a different dealer and went to just buy the $2.00 washer and they had no clue to what I was talking about. I gave the the bulletin number and they found what the part number was. They had to order it and that took 2 weeks to get in.

During the trip, one of the guys was complaining how his bike would "CLUNK" whenever he hit a bump. He has a 2007 Softail. I reached in my bag and gave him the washer I picked up from the dealer that had no clue... turns out that was his dealership and when he brought up the "CLUNK", they told him that that was the way it is.

I guess I will give a shout out to Miracle Mile HD in Great Neck, NY for being on top of this... I will not mention the other Nassau County dealership that had no clue.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:58 AM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you have the clunk at the time?&nbsp\\; I haven't heard it on mine.

Quick Reply: Need front end CLUNK service bullitin