Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil won't drain

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 09:22 PM
don03
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil won't drain

Dyna SB 07. I removed the oil plug and about a shot glass amount of oil came out. Remved the oil filter and took out the dip stick. After that I tipped the bike over and still the oil won't drain. After scratchin my head thinking I "used" up all the oil, I put the new filter on, installed the drain plug and out 1 gallon in and as I was starting the second it over flowed. I tipped it over again and drained it out thru the input, check and it is above the full level and it's black as crap. Does anyone know what is causing this blockage? Help please.
&nbsp\\;
Thanks,
Don

Old 06-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Dynamite17
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Oil won't drain

ORIGINAL: don03

Dyna SB 07. I removed the oil plug and about a shot glass amount of oil came out. Remved the oil filter and took out the dip stick. After that I tipped the bike over and still the oil won't drain. After scratchin my head thinking I "used" up all the oil, I put the new filter on, installed the drain plug and out 1 gallon in and as I was starting the second it over flowed. I tipped it over again and drained it out thru the input, check and it is above the full level and it's black as crap. Does anyone know what is causing this blockage? Help please.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Thanks,
Don
Dude, have you checked the capacity of the bike before you tried to put 2 gallons of oil in it?

Old 06-21-2008, 09:38 PM
Scramboogie
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Now you used the analogy of a shot glass amount of oil coming out, is that because you were&nbsp\\;drinking from that shot glass while you were changing the oil??&nbsp\\; If so it may be that you didn't actually&nbsp\\;"tip" the bike over, but instead you may have tipped over&nbsp\\;off your stool and bumped your head...which would go a long way to explain what may have gone wrong with this oil change.&nbsp\\; Either that or you pulled the wrong&nbsp\\;plug.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 06-21-2008, 09:46 PM
96 Wide Glide
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As mentioned above, you've removed the wrong plug. Dont run the motor with that much oil in it. Time to start over.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:50 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

You better check your tranny fluid.&nbsp\\; If you drained it now would be a good time to put a good synthetic in it.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:14 PM
stbobber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe you pulled yhe right plug and had a blockage.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:11 PM
moosh
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was the plug that you drained located about the middle of engine underneath? If so it was the wrong plug. Be very carefull reinstalling this plug as I have heard of a lot of people cracking the crank case. The correct oil plug is located left side near kickstand facing out.
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-21-2008, 11:18 PM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get the bike up to operating temp before draining? Hot oil will drain. Make sure&nbsp\\;the dipstick is out to help it drain quicker. Read the service manual. You might be better off changing both your tranny and oil together. Fresh. From start all over again to make sure you get the right oils and amounts in each. Don't forget o-rings. Now..do it again...with feeling.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:34 PM
labfreak
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now I see why the stealers look at us skepticaly when we say we do our own maintenence...

Old 06-21-2008, 11:41 PM
BluBob
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My $50 service manual paid for itself at the first fluid change.&nbsp\\; Since then it has only been saving me more money.&nbsp\\; I can't believe I waited 8 months before I bought it.

Quick Reply: Oil won't drain